So what im looking for is anyone that has a herniated disc but with symptoms on the other side. I have a good size herniated disc on the left L4 L5, but i have sharp pain in my right buttocks and sometimes down the leg. And bad lower back dull achy pain. When doctor does the foot exam my left foot the toes have no strength, he will have me sit with my right foot and left with toes up and I cant hold up the right when he pushs on them like can the left. Witch he said that is a sign of L5 sciatic nerve weakness or pinched nerve. This is been ongoing for a year, not working. Because I can't I drive a truck and I can't sit with out having sharp pain in my buttocks, and severe achy pain in my lower back.I have seen a long list of doctors, have had injections 3 of them on  both sides.I have a family to support, so I need to go back to work. Any doctors on here. Seen two surgeons that look at my mri which I have had two and they were six months apart with no change. They just scratch there had because it's herniated one side but the systems are on the other. Does this not happen to any other people out there.

Hi Erik

I have the same, MRI showed herniated disc left side but have had 3 months of (sciatica) pain on right side, mainly buttock down to ankle. Ended up with lots of physio saying extremely tight muscles (squashing the nerve) so hoping that will help. Think 15 years of too much sitting caused the problem in the first place. Will see if I can get rid of the problem with only physio and exercises at home...

Good luck
Martin

Hi Eric

My MRI findings are very similar to yours although I do have tingling to my left thigh also. I am able to play golf but can't do much lifting at all. My biggest problem is standing and walking after more than 5 minutes. My right lower leg goes totally weak and I get a pretty strong pain in the right butt. My ortho has me scheduled for surgery in next 6 weeks but I also have an EMG scheduled to be sure that the right butt and leg pain is related to the herniated discs. I have tried PT, acupuncture, massages, and 3 epidurals, all unsuccessful. 

Good luck to you and me. This sucks!!!!

HI Eric i have the same thing.. Hernia on the left pain on the right.. Have you found a doctor..

I was just told the same thing today! The same Dr. told me originally that I should have right sided pain and numbness. Today he said he looked at it again and it shows that I should have left sided pain and numbness, but this is not the case. My lower back hurts really bad across my pelvic girdle, with pain into my right buttock and right leg, with numbness in the right buttock and side of right leg with pain to right big toe. I have had therapy, 3 epidurals, prednisone. Now they want me to have an EMG, followed by a Myology (Contrast).. Vicodin will not touch it and now switched me to Percocet.

The Dr. said it could show to the left, but actually present on the right. The reason for the 2 new test is to try and make sure that it is truly the ruptured disc causing all the problems, before he cuts. I truly am tired of the pain.

I have a disk herniation on my right side of L5/S1 but major pain every night in my left leg. Have you found anything out? I havent seen a spine specialist yet, just started PT

Hello all, 

I am new to this forum and if I can I would like to contribute to your current topic. I have more than one herniated disc, some are  in the lumbar spine (lower back) and the others are in the cervical spine (upper back and neck) and mine too are primarily on the left side of the disc and also like you I have symptoms on the right. The disc material that bulges out causes pressure (stenosis) a type of squeezing or narrowing of the space through which the spinal nerves travel. The spinal cord starts out at the top all in one piece but as we get down to the lower levels of the lumbar spine the spinal cord branches out into multiple tinny nerves sort of like a horse's tail, which is why it is called the cauda equina. So, even if your hernia is on the left side of say the L5S1 Disc and nerve roots you can still experience symptoms on the right side because there are many nerves responsible for many functions, like bladder control, intestinal control, sexual function (sensory and motor for all of these examples). The main reason one can have symptoms on both sides is that typically a hernia causes what is called stenosis (narrowing of the space through which the nerves travel). It is called central stenosis when the pressure or squeezing happens in the middle (sometimes the spinal cord itself...this is the most dangerous for permanent damage...) even when a hernia can be primarily to the left or the right. So, the spinal cord can be affected as well as smaller (horse's tail nerves) at the same disc level. Hope this helped!

I have the same exact problem... i have a hernia on the left on L5-S1 and extreme pain on the right leg all the way down to my toes.. Extreme pain.. Anyhow my new MRI shows now that now it touched a nerve on the left side and now i have (some pain) on the left as well.. I am getting operated in the next month or so and so i hope this takes the pain away from both sides but specially the right which is the leg that's killing me..  Has anyone here gotten operated and had success getting rid of the pain on the opposite side..

Hi Eric.. Did you have the surgery and how did it go..

Hi guys.. Im getting operated May13.. As i stated above my hernia is on the left and the majority of the pain is on the right leg.. Just recently the hernia got a bit bigger and it touched a nerve on the left so now he has a reason to go in and do his job.. The pain on the left will go away but he does not know if the pain on the right will go away.. He doesnt know whats causing the pain.. Anyhow ill let you guys know two weeks after the operation if it worked or now..

I found a great article which i think will help everyone... look up ( Lumbar disk herniation with contralateral symptoms ) under google chrome and you will get most of your answers there... 

MY surgery was yesterday not the 13th sorry about that.. ill let you guys know in the next week or so how im feeling and then at the 2 weeks mark.. I haven't taken any pain killers since i woke up yesterday dont need them i guess..  Right now my left leg the one that had the less pain is perfect and the right one which was the one that was killing me is pretty much pain free.. I say is about 90 percent perfect.. Obviously this is way too soon to tell as they told me anesthesia can take up to 24 hours to go away.. I need 4 more hours for the 24 hours.. 

One thing i didnt like which they told me after is that they gave me a cortisone shot as well so now i dont know if is the cortisone working or the procedure.. In the past the last 2 shots they gave me only worked about 2 days.. who knows if this one was done on the right spot now.. 

Anyhow from what ive gathered tons of doctors do come across patients with contralateral pain patients but they refused to acknowledge them do to lawsuits because they cant guarantee anyone anything since it is a bit more rare..

Remember my pain for 6 months was always on the right leg and the hernia was on the left.. then the hernia grew a bit more and hit the nerve on the left and thats when he decided to disk.. so im in the same boat as everyone here..

I did talk to a neurosurgen while i was there and he says he runs into 3-4 of these per year.. he wasn't my surgeon so he fell more free to talk to me... he said from what he remembers almost everyone comes out ok after surgery..

Ok its been a month.. My left leg is cured and the right is about 85% cured..  What i have left is some burning maybe twice per day but it seems like its getting better and better..  After surgery the nerve pain was still there but at around 14 days my body began to change... You cant judge the changes everyday or you will drive yourself crazy. now i judge them per week or monthly going forward.. 

So yes, having a microdiscectomy on the left took care of the right leg and the left.. The past 9 months where very bad for me but now im almost back to normal.. thank god, hope this helps..

In a month or so ill come back and give one last update..

I have had multiple MRI and CT scans, the reports come back stating I have a disc herniation on the left side. L4-L5 and L5-S1. I experience lower back pain and at times It feels as though my pelvis is about to split in half, accompanying this I experience intense leg pain that travels from my lower back through my right butt cheek down my leg causing great pain in my knee which then ends at the top of my foot. For the past 8 years I have got by on limited sleep and there are many weeks that I have gone days without any sleep at all. Doctors just keep on telling me I am too young to operate on and that surgeons wont operate because my pain is all on my right side but MRI results indicate LEFT disc herniations, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Frustrating and absolutely exhausting.

Look up lumbar disk herniation with contralateral symptoms and you will find most of your answers there.. I am feeling about 85% better since the operation and im only 7 weeks post operation.. You need to find another surgeon and explain your findings, its what i did.. be persistent and dont give up, there is a cure.. As for me, the disk had leaked a material which they call fragments.. These fragments irritate the surrounding nerves and thats one of the reasons why your getting contralateral pain..

Most doctors are faced with the problem of deciding whether or not the presenting symptoms are related to the herniated disk.. I almost gave up myself but i didnt and im feeling much better.. In a month or so ill come back to post how im doing..

Eric- My wife has been in a similar situation for over 7 years. She has pain on right and sciatica all the way to the big toe on the left. One surgeon actually went by the symptoms and operated on the non-herniated side and there was no success. Now he simply says you have permanent nerve damage. There is no numbing or tingling that often comes with permanent damage and the EMG nerve test is normal. We feel the right moderately sized bulge on the right side is the problem. Do you have a doctor's name and city or the hospital where you talked to the neurosurgeon who says he does a few of these a year. We live in Central Calif. and we can find no one. Thank you for your help and post.... Mike