I have herniated disc in my lumbar area. For first two months of my treatment I was on different medications. However, pain was persisting and I start with physical therapy along with meds. My doctor suggested switching therapy on epidural steroid injections. Are epidural steroid injections more effective as a treatment for herniated disk?

My boyfriend has two herniated disc in the lumbar area. He didn’t start with therapy on time so he immediately got epidural injection. This injection provided pain relief but only for a couple of days. It has strong anti-inflammatory effect but only up to three epidural injections may be done in one year frame. I would recommend you to continue with either chiropractic or osteopathic treatments, and exercise and physical therapy.

Hi, I have a herniated disc between L4-L5, my back surgeon told me that my herniated Disc is also degenerating and is recommending a fusion at that level. However, I do not want the surgery, so I got a 3 series of ESI's and 1 Facet joint Injections. The Facet's hurt more than ESI's.
They do provide relief for me for at least 2 Months. Some people; not at all. So everyone responds to them differently. But I am seeing a pain Management doctor who prescribes a C-2 (Triplicate) pain drug along with the injections.

However, I have found that the Steroid Injections do raise your Anxiety level
especially if you have been diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder like me.
But the Injections are keeping me from having surgery! So, ask your doctor for all the side effects and what to expect before getting them.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Regards, Gilbey