Hello everybody. I believe that I have morton neuroma which is causing a mass of scar tissue on my right foot. I’m going to see my doc tomorrow for that and I really don’t know what will he say about all that. Also, I don’t have a clue what treatment he will advise me… So, my question is: what do you think which treatment is the best??? I heard something about alcohol injections and that they are very good in these conditions…Any comments?

Man, there are numerous treatment options available for Morton's neuroma and the one you should apply really depends on the individual case. Possible treatments go from no treatment at all, conservative methods to surgical care. For example, the conservative alternatives include tape strapping of the foot to provide additional support and similar but most of these approaches are less successful. Other conservative treatments involve vitamin B12 injections, corticosteroid injections, and dilute alcohol injections – the one you mentioned. So, alcohol injections are one possible treatment, but, as I’ve already said, the treatment is individual and can differ from one patient to another. I think that your doc will know which one is the best for you…

I was diagnosed with Morton's neuroma (two, actually in one foot) almost 6 months ago. Although conservative therapies (ibuprofen, orthotics, decreasing activity level, decreasing heel heights, icing) provided temporary relief, I am an overweight ballroom dancer so that foot takes a lot of abuse. After a few weeks we did cortisone injections, which gave me instanteous relief (except for the brusing/swelling associated with the injections). This relief lasted maybe 3 weeks for me (usually longer for others). So then we went on to a series of sclerosing (dilute alcohol) injections. While the shots themselves are not a lot of fun, they're not as painful as cortisone injections. This seems to have helped a lot. It's not perfect yet but I think another series or two will take care of it. I chose this path over surgery at my sports podiatrist's recommendation because I would rather lose some sensation in and around my toes than risk creating scar tissue in an already overcrowded area of my foot. As for things you can do yourself, though, regular icing will provide a lot of relief and has the least negative impact on other aspects of your health.

MY BROTHER JUST VISTED HIS 3 RD PODIATRIST TODAY FOR MORTONS NEURO..HE IS GOING TO START THE ALCOHOL INJECTIONS..SUCCESS RATE IS GOOD FOR SHRINKING THE MASS AND ALIVEATING THE DISCOMFORT..HIS WAS CAUSED BY HAMMER TOE SURGERY. GOOGLE ALCOHOL INJECTIONS TO SEE THE STATS.
GOOD LUCK

I recently went thru a series of cortisone shots which did not work and then started alcohol injections - the podiatrist which did this did not finish the treatment he only did 2 and with having no relief stopped the treatment causing me to have surgery with an Orthopedic Surgeon who told me he caused more injury to my foot with the alcohol injections - do not believe in them and wondering if they are FDA approved? Don't think so and don't think podiatrists should be even suggesting these without more information the neuroma i had surgically removed was the size of a grape so I do not believe in this way of treating patients at all I am now in the process of searching for legal action against this podiatrist for the damage he did to my foot with the injections - THEY DO NOT WORK SORRY!!!!!!!!

I must be going to a very good podiatrist. Also, I had researched things ahead of time and talked with friends who had the shots also. It is my understanding that it can take anywhere from one to seven injections to get the desired results. I have been through a course of them (started this past December). I can actually feel my toes again! Hello!

I have only heard horrible things about the repercussions of surgery. People of talked with that have had it are still in pain. Their toes are still numb. And the point of surgery was what then? Go from pain and numbness to pain and numbness. Sorry, I wanted to be out of pain and not be numb anymore....

terrie59... I'm curious how you're doing now after having surgery and problems caused from injections. I am currently getting the PAINFUL alcohol injections. Only on my second and have been told I should have some relief after the third. I sure hope so because I'm a whimp to pain and also because these shots are an extremely expensive experiment. Before starting them I almost felt it would be financially and physically worth it to just go through the surgery and get it done with. Until..... I did some research and found that the surgery is not always the end of the pain. Sometimes it causes a different pain from the first. So I decided to go with the injections. Wish I had found this site before I started them because now after reading your post I'm a tad nervous. Maybe I should have gone with my first thought? Fill us all in on your progress please. Thanks

I had surgery from an orthopedic surgeon to remove a neuroma. It was the worst decision I have ever made. He initially gave me one cortisone injection and after that did not work, he suggested surgery. I have had nothing but pain ever since. It feels worse than before when I still had the neuroma. A friend of a friend later told me that they too had a the same condition and was treated by a podiatrist with alcohol injections. She is now painfree after only 5 injections. The orthopedic surgeon never even mentioned this type of treatment. I did some research on the alcohol injections and there are apparently several published articles on this treatment. My only regret was not going to a foot specialist to have the alcohol injections before having surgery.

The biggest mistake I've ever made in my life was to have the alcohol injections in my feet for a neuroma. After four shots in the left foot and three in the right I now have extensive nerve pain in my feet from the damage caused by the injections. It has changed my whole life and I am now on disability because of these injections. The pain from the damaged nerve linings is 24/7 and disrupts everything including your sleep. None of the pain killers short of morphine can touch the pain. I've had several medical doctors agree with my conclusions that these shots caused my nerve damage. I had a surgeon remove two of the two nerves in my left foot but it did little to alleviate the pain.

I don't know if the doctor didn't know what he was doing and did the procedure wrong - but the effect is permanent and I have tried every therapy and medicine available including accupuncture. I filed a complaint with the CO state Board of Medical Examiners only to find out that they will not show you the doctor's response - they say it violates his privacy.

I would like to communicate with other people who have experienced a similar result from these shots.

OKAY. HERE IT GOES. I TOO RECEIVED THESE ALCOHOL INJECTIONS FOR A NEUROMA. FIVE SHOTS IN THREE MONTHS FROM A PODIATRIST. AFTER THE SHOTS MY FOOT WAS WORSE AND HE DECIDED TO SURGICALLY REMOVE THE NEUROMA. DURING SURGERY HE FOUND A RUPTURED TENDON CAUSED BY THE SHOTS. WELL THE DAMAGE TO MY FOOT IS NOW FOREVER. THE SHOTS CAUSED TENDON RUPTURE AND DAMAGE TO MY FOOT. RESULT: WENT TO AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. MY RIGHT FOOT NOW HAS HAD: SECOND TWO MIDDLE JOINT REMOVAL - TO SHORTEN THE TOE. SECOND AND THIRD TWO ARE NOW WEBBED TOGETHER, FOREVER. THE METATARSEL BONE IN FOOT HAD TO BE SHORTEN WHICH RESULTED IN A METAL PLATE WITH SIX SCREWS. BONE MARROW FLUID FROM MY HIP MIXED WITH BONE FROM A BUNION REMOVAL ON SAME FOOT WAS USED IN THAT BONE TO HELP IT HEAL. I HAVE HAD THREE SURGERIES FROM THE ORTHO DOCTOR TO REPAIR THE DAMAGES FROM THE FOOT DR. NOT INCLUDING ALL I WENT THROUGH WITH THE FOOT DR. PRIOR TO SEEING THE ORTHO DR. I AM IN CONSTANT PAIN IN FOOT AND MY BACK, BECAUSE MY GAIT IS OFF. I LIMP, I CAN'T WEAR NORMAL SHOES, I HAVE BEEN IN A BOOT THREE TIMES FROM THE ORTHO DR. WHICH RESULTED IN TWO MONTHS OF NO DRIVING X 3 = SIX MONTHS. I HAVE BEEN IN A WHEELCHAIR, ON CRUTCHES AND A WALKER. I HAVE TWO SCHOOL AGED SONS - THIS HAS CHANGED MY LIFE AND WHAT I NOW WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO BECAUSE OF ALL THIS. I AM 43 YEARS OLD AND THE PAIN IS CONSTANT. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ATHLETIC AND NOW AM LIMITED TO WHAT I CAN DO. DON'T KNOW IF I EVER WILL HAVE ANY RELIEF. ADVICE: GO TO AN ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR FOR ANY ANY ANY FOOT RELATED PROBLEMS, EVEN AN INGROWN TOENAIL.

I had neuroma surgery on my right foot ten years ago and it was a speedy recovery and that foot still remains pain free. Unfortunatly, three years ago I had another operation to remove a neuroma from my left foot and it left me in even more pain than before. A new podiatrist then did a "release" procedure to snip open the cartelidge connecting the toes on my left foot and now I can hardly walk at all. I then had an alcohol injection that caused SCREAMING pain for 23 days. I am on the brink of permanent disability from work due to my inability to walk more than a few yards at a time. I can't play with my children, shop in large stores or malls, walk in parks, or even walk down the street. The pain is still awful, yet the inability of my foot to simply work is the WORST! I have spent many hundreds of dollars on orthopedic shoes and orthotics with no relief. Now cryosurgery is being suggested, yet my insurance company probably will not pay. Is it even worth trying at this point? I wonder at times if a partial foot amputation wouldn't be better. I'M NOT KIDDING!!! I have a primary immunodeficiency requiring regular immunoglobulin infusions, frequent infections etc...and that is MUCH less disabeling than my foot. If I can no longer work I will lose my health insurance. I will have to wait two years for medicare to kick in and I will likely not live two years without my infusions. I have young children who may lose their mother due to a stupid foot neuroma. This is crazy!!! Does anyone have any suggestions???

I got a neuroma between the second and third toes in 2007.
My podiatrist gave me a cortisone injection, getting the injection was quite painful but I had total relief for 5 weeks. The pain slowly returned and he said that his experience is that if one cortisone injection doesn’t fix it, he doesn’t do additional cortisone injections. His recommended next course of treatment was 4% sclerosing alcohol injections (usually 7 or 8 injections). I was not prepared to make the decision on the spot and it was December so I asked for another cortisone injection to get me through the holidays. The second injection helped but did not provide near the same relief as the first injection (so he was correct).

I decided to get the alcohol injections. His experience is that the alcohol injections and the surgery have comparable success rates. He said that there would not be relief during the initial injections and pain would probably increase while the nerve was being killed. I did some research and decided to avoid the surgery if possible because it’s more invasive, recuperation might be tough and it is possible for it to make things worse. The only drawback to the alcohol injections that I found was that they may not work. The cost was around $300 per injection so you really need insurance coverage. My doctor does perform surgery if the alcohol injections don’t work.

The alcohol injections were successful. I had 7 weekly injections. All of the alcohol injections were less painful than the cortisone injections. Post injection pain (the 36 hours after receiving the injection) increased with each of the first 3 injections. I was unable to sleep at all the night of the 3rd injection. After the 4th injection, post injection pain decreased with each injection. The neuroma pain did not decrease until the 7th injection. After the 7th injection he told me to resume normal activity and come back in 3 weeks to determine whether to do an 8th injection. I was able to resume walking (but not hiking) a few days after the 7th injection and the pain continued to decrease.
I got the 8th injection 3 weeks after the 7th injection. Pain continued to decrease and I began hiking 3 days after the 8th injection. I got the 9th injection 1 month after the 8th injection, all pain was gone for 3 months, I hiked everyday. A little pain returned 3 months after the 9th injection so I got a 10th injection and have been pain free so far. I hike on difficult trail surfaces with no problems. I wear Keen hiking boots and shoes because of their very wide toe box. Ten injections are the most that my doctor has given a patient so far. He regularly goes to neuroma forums where the consensus is that there is no limit to the number of injections (as long as they provide relief). I have no numbness or side effects in my foot. I think that the injections were the way to go for me. I have a friend that had an unsuccessful surgery followed by another surgery that still left her with some discomfort.

I've been though two sugeries on my foot. 4 years ago I had a walnut sized growth removed. The scar hurt so I had cortizone injections in it. They didn't work very well. Then I tried alcohol. Those were very painful. But after 3 rounds of cortizone and alcohol shots in 3 years the scar started to feel better. But limping on the scar lead to a neuroma in the foot. I tried 3 cortizone shots but they only helped a bit. Then I had at least 10 alcohol shots, but they didn't work either. So the podiatrist removed it surgically. That has not worked either. I now have internal scar tissue that hurts as bad as the neuroma. I had a cortizone shot for that the other day and it is still not feeling well at all. I am seriously thinking of applying for disabilitty. I have been working in pain for 5 years now and limping on this foot is starting to effect my opposite knee and foot. I wish I had tried cryosugery for it now. But there is no podiatrist near me who does that. And my podiatrist says the reason for that is that it doesn't work very well. This is incredibally frustrating. I often think about having the whole foot removed.

I received a series of 6 injections of the alcohol solution roughly 8 years ago. My pain began decreasing after the 3rd shot and I was pain-free for almost 6 years. The pain has recently started again. The injections were really painful, but 6 years of being able to walk without pain was definitely worth it, and I'm going to ask if I can start another series of injections instead of surgery.

Thank you for posting this plight you've suffered due to the alcohol injections in your foot.  I have had one in my foot, and will definitely never have another.  It has caused more trouble than the pain I had before the injection.  I don't know if the diagnosis of Morton's neuroma was accurate to begin with.  Anyway, I would like for more people to post their negative reactions from the alcohol injection since some doctors and patients are reporting it is a wonderful option.  To me, it has been a nightmare.