I have been experiencing depression lately. My doctor says that it is mild and it will pass. He prescribed some light antidepressants and advised to engage in some physical activity. Since I like swimming (but haven’t had the time to do it) I was considering going to the nearest swimming pool. Can I fight depression with swimming?

It is hard to say. I can tell you one thing. It won’t hurt you. Physical activity has been proved to improve one’s mental state. It is due to the state of mind called “high”. You have heard of “runners’ high”, “swimmers’ high” etc. When you engage in physical activity your brain secrets substances called endorphins. They give you good mood. That way our body is telling us that we are doing the right thing. You should certainly give it a try. A friend of mine helped himself by swimming half to full mile every day for some six months. Maybe it will work for you. At least you will experience some improvement and better mood.