My dad will need to use oxygen therapy because he has heart failure. His doctor told to my mother and me that this therapy can be very useful and that it can not do him any harm. I want to know more about it. Please, can someone describe oxygen therapy? Thanks!

Oxygen can be given using a flexible plastic tube inserted in the nostrils (nasal cannula), a face mask, or a tube inserted into the windpipe (transtracheal cannula). Normally when you breathe in, oxygen enters your lungs and goes into your bloodstream. With oxygen therapy, you breathe in concentrated oxygen to increase the amount of oxygen that enters your blood and, ultimately, your body's cells.

Oxygen therapy is the administration of oxygen as a medical intervention, which can be for a variety of purposes in both chronic and acute patient care. Oxygen is essential for cell metabolism, and in turn, tissue oxygenation is essential for all normal physiological functions.