:cry: I done a Mystic Tanning Spray 4 weeks ago at my local tanning salon, and the spray got up my nose, & immediately caused severe dryness & burning & alot of pain, and white sores came up on the nasal passages and ever since I have been severely sick with swollen sinuses and extreme fatigue & facial pain. The smell was so bad, it made me nauseated for 3 days. The smell finally went away. I was on the couch sick for 3 days after this happened. I have been to 2 specialty doctors since, and I have taking several medications, nothing is helping. Everything has been ruled out by doctors & I have been referred to further testing. My sinuses are still swollen shut, I can't breath through my nose and I am having symptoms of chronic allergies that I have never had before. Its been 4 weeks since this has happened, my life has been put on hold this whole time since the spray went up my nose. Go to mystic tan's website & read their answer on if its safe to use. They say the same ingredients they put in cosmetics over the decades is the same ingredients they use. They never say yes it is safe. We all know the chemicals in makeup is not 100% safe to use. Be careful with this stuff. And whatever you do protect your nose if you do it. Do not let it get inside. I don't want anyone going through what I have been through & still going through. I am having to go to a neurologist to get a biospy of my nasal passages to see what is going on. I also had a metal toxic lab work done to see what chemicals are in my body that could be causing my sickness. I will keep you updated. If I do find out this is what has caused me to be so sick for 4 weeks, I will sue this people for sure. Be careful.

Why did you breathe in while it was spraying? The instructions tell you clearly to hold your breathe as its spraying. It only sprays for like 6 seconds anyhow so its not like you had to hold your breath for that long. Why would you try to sue for your mistake..I don't understand why people want to sue for their stupidity!

Guest wrote:

Ya, maybe they made a mistake. It doesn't make themstupid for it, though.

Spray tanning booths are NOT approved by the FDA. Rubbing lotion on the skin is approved. Tanning solutions and most all cosmetics contain trade secret ingredients which have phthalates in them. The ingredients do not have to be listed on the label. You all have heard about all the phthalates in babies lately right? Some other ingredients that are not considered safe are glycols and parabens. Which are antifreeze and toxic preservatives. Even though sunless lotions are approved, many of the ingredients are identical to the sunless mists.

As far as I know, it shouldn't cause any issue but getting particulates in the lung can be damaging to your breathing. Does that help you out at all? I know it's been awhile since you last posted. Can you tell me if you're doing okay?

I did the same thng, and had the same reaction....yes, tried to hold my breathe, it didnt work. I think they need more warnings, and education. I will never do it again

My name is Kylie Thompson-Woods.

I am a beauty therapist who has become ill from spray tanning.

I have been self-employed since 2000 trading under the name of "Kylie's Beauty Shoppe." The business has been run in several forms, iniatially located in a retail premises offering personal services until 2003 when the business was sold due the pregnancy of my fourth child. The business then evolved into a home based business supplying wholesale cosmetic products to the beauty industry. As the wholesale business developed & my children were at an age where I could return to salon service work, I purchased a salon in 2009 that had been in business for 25 years in Doubleview "Sally Kay Beauty Salon" in which I renamed to "Kylie's Beauty Shoppe." I purchased the business with funds financed through Indigenous Business Australia (IBA). I introduced a new service I had never provided previously, spray tanning. Information provided to me in product manuals & through wholesale product outlets stated that the active ingrediant in the spray tan product was safe & listed by the FDA in the USA in the 1970's as non-toxic - a carbohydrate-based sugar derived from vegetables such as beets. Based on this information & due to the fact spray tanning was a new service to the business, I heavily promoted the service with the assistance of marketing tools such as discount coupons through companies such as 'Zoupon', 'Spreets' & 'Living Social.' The campaigns were very successful & 'Kylie's Beauty Shoppe' exceeded the second year turnover projection in my business plan by $20,000 in 2010/2011 financial year. I would on average perform up to 10 tanning treatments each day, 5 days a week over this period of time. The treatment involves the client standing in a tent with myself or a staff member operating the hand-held spray tan gun which sprays the tanning product with a dihydroxyacetone (active tanning ingrediant) percentage of 10 - 15% in a fine mist on the client. The mist would permeate the air in the treatment room & we were exposed to excess tanning mist, predominatley inhaling the substance. In August 2011 I started to experience various health complaints both physically and mentally that were out of character to my usual disposition. I just assumed it was due to hard work but my condition kept detiorating. My eldest daughter, Imogen Thompson was also working in the salon performing spray tan services & she started to decline in health alongside my own symptoms. In September 2011, both my daughter & I broke out with lesions all over our body & our skin was excreting a yellow substance similiar to the tanning liquid. Research conducted by myself & Imogen informed us that the active ingrediant in the tanning product - Dihydroxyacetone (DHA)- has never been approved for use in the manner of spray tanning as DHA has up to 48 known contaminants due to processing or storage- the most concerning being toxic heavy metals. The FDA only approved DHA to be used in a cream base at levels of 3 to 5% as it was believed that the DHA molecules could not penetrate past the stratum corneum, therefore it could not enter the dermal layer of the skin & be absorbed into the blood stream. But it can be absorbed through mucous membranes which are more permeable & the largest mucous membrane in the body is our lungs. The health problems presenting & progressing alerted me that we had heavy metal toxicity from lead, mercury & arsenic in our systems. Since September 2011 I have sought medical treatment & for the most part have been denied my requests as the medical practioners accept the current toxicolgy report of DHA being non-toxic. In October 2011 both Imogen & my health declined so much & given the research into DHA & it's potential harm to health I made the decision to close my salon & seek medical treatment. For the most part I have been turned away & told not to waste their time & refused my requests for investigative tests or referalls to specialists. I managed to find one practioner who through hair & tissue analysis diagnosed me with heavy metal toxicity in November 2011 & issued me to my suprise & distress a medical certificate to say I was unfit for work until March 2014. Treatment for the toxicity has not improved my health & I became confined to bed sleeping for up to 24 hour periods at a time. I am now incapacitated & unable to manage my responsibilities. My hair started to fall out in December, I am now bald. I expected to close the salon only temporarily but due to not being able to even manage the day to day care of my four children I closed the salon permanently in December 2011 without a sale. Due to the circumstances, IBA have frozen my loan for 2 years until I recover. Recently to my relief, the FDA in the US has released information under the freedom of informaton act incited after the ABC inquired due to controversy related to tanning services. That information shows that the FDA has known since 1999 that DHA has the potential to cause serious health problems such as emphysema, lung cancer & DNA gene mutations. The Australian public & Medical profession has not been alerted, as spray tannning is a lucrative part of the beauty industry. Due to the lack of information, I am still struggling to recieve adequate treatment, but my own research shows that if I am treated with an oral steriod that remission will be rapid. I am yet to convince a Doctor to prescribe the medication to me. I am frustrated, depressed & feel very alone in my illness. I do not intend on becoming famous as the first dihydroxyacetone related death in this country. I intend on being the catalyst in this country to inform the public of the potentials dangers & risks to such treatment. I will be contacting the media as well as using the internet to put my story & message out to the world as what has happened to me is criminal & no one should suffer like I have unecessarily. If given the choice & full disclosure to the potential risks, I would never have provided tanning in my business, let alone expose my child to it.

I am aware that going public with my story will be difficult and controversial as spray tanning is very lucrative & many in the industry will not willingly let go of the profit made through tanning. I have been banned from industry forums from simply sharing my story to warn others & find others who may be sick like me & posting before & after photos in such posts. I also intend on starting litigation for damages against the Food & Drug Administration Australia as well as medical negligence from various medical pratitioners.

Since becoming ill I have lost my business, my good health, my hair & in April 2012 my children were removed from my care & my centrelink benefit cancelled. From October 2011 my fortnightly income has been $650. I had to reapply for Newstart alowance & DCP have enforced without my knowledge or consent income management. My fortnightly income is now $450 a fortnight. 70% of my benefit is managed by Centrelink who have refused to pay any of my creditors including my mortgage until I produce evidence that I cannot withdraw any funds paid into these accounts. I have only just managed to be booked an appointment with Centrelink (as the department is overloaded with people needing assistance) to produce documents to show I do not have a line of credit on my home loan. The bank has issued me with a writ of summons and it looks likely I will also lose my home.

I have dystrophic alopecia, chronic fatigue, reduced lung capacity, cramping in joints and bullous lesions over various areas of my body. I need help and treatment. People need to know that this stuff is poison. Please help.

Kylie

rosebudk73 wrote:

My name is Kylie Thompson-Woods.

Kylie

JUST LOCATED YOUR MESSAGE ABOUT SPRAY-WHILE YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST-I BELIEVE MY DAUGHTER WAS-I TO HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HELP=SHE PASSED AWAY JUNE 20,2012-FROM BAC LUNG CANCER-WHICH IS ON THE RISE AND IS BEING FOUND IN YOUNG-NON SMOKING WOMEN=PREFERABLY ASIAN WOMEN=SHE WAS NOT ASIAN-THEY SAY ASIAN BECAUSE THEY RUN ALOT OF THE TANNING SALONS-WHEN WE FOUND OUT WHAT SHE HAD WE ASKED HER DOCTORS IF IT COULD BE CAUSED FROM SPRAY TANNING-THEIR ANSWER WAS MAYBE BUT HOW DO WE PROVE IT-THEN I SAID THEN DISPROVE IT-THEY ASK WHAT CHEMICALS SHE HAD BEEN AROUND-WE DIDNT KNOW THEIR WERE 40-45 TOXIC CHEMICALS IN THE DHA-NOR -WAS SHE TOLD TO WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR ON HER EYES EARS,NOSE,MOUTH AND PRIVATE PARTS-THEY JUST TOLD HER TO WEAR A HAIRNET AND ARE STILL SAYING THAT-SHE DIED AFTER THE DHA ENTERED HER LUNGS AND WENT TO HER BRAIN AND LIVER-LEAVING HER TWO GIRLS WITHOUT A MOTHER-PLEASE CONTACT ME-I BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SAID-HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE-SPRAY TANNING IS ON THE RISE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE BEING TOLD IT IS SAFE-IT IS NOT

Thank you for replying! Please tell me more about your daughter,  I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's passing. This is outrageous and I have been battking to be heard for over a year. The more people affected, the more they have to take notice. I say God gave me this nightmare because I am strong (and I have a big mouth ;-) and I won't back down but stand firm in my truth. Thank you so much, Kylie

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

someone in our street store and supply tanning fluid for booths. This must be a fire risk as well as unhealthy to their customers.

Hello, I read some of the posts, (and especially in reference to the original one), I spray tanned for about 6mo. without a break. Following that I started feeling fatigue, lightheadedness, having very irregular mood swings and other things. I was put on bio-identical hormone replacement therapy because it was assumed that is what was wrong with me. They helped take care of some of the symptoms, but ultimately the dr. told me that hormone imbalance is NOT my problem - it is something underlying. I am now, (a year and a half later), having hairloss as well. Any of these symptoms similar to the ones you had? Could be metal poisoning?

I had the mystic spray tan done on Sunday and by Monday evening I was in severe pain in the sinuses and face...it is 4 days later and I am in the same amount of pain. I did not wear nose protection and thought I held my breath but apparently not well enough plus the mist is still in the air while you are getting dressed. Just stated antibiotics hoping it will help...gosh, I specifically asked the lady at the counter if I needed any other kind of protection other than the hair cap and she said NO. It should be mandatory to wear nose guard and a mask for extra protection plus eye googles.

I owned a salon, bought the equipment, read the manual and it said it was completely safe, no safety precautions suggested. So I inhaled that sh*t for 2 years. My post further down the page will tell you exactly what happened to me. They have only been telling people since 2012 (after the ABC exposed the truth about this c**p under the freedom of information act) to use safety equipment like nose plugs for clients, PPE for therapists. Hold your breath all you like, it will find it's way into your blood stream anyhow as it seems they lied about it not being able to penetrate past the epidermal layer of the skin. And who do you sue over this? The cosmetic companies aren't to blame. The Food and Drug Administration has a lot to answer for. Stupidity is holding your breath for 6 seconds while you get sprayed with a substance that has not been thoroughly researched and was never approved to be used in this capacity in the first place. Keep holding your breath guest and look forward to a future that may include DNA mutations, emphysema, lung cancer and cancer. But at least you'll be brown and stupid.

The lotions only contain up to 5% DHA. The sprays are around 15% and can get into your blood stream through your eyes, lips, genitals, open wounds or lesions like acne and nose inhaled into the lungs. The cream can't do this, or so they thought. Some studies have shown that it can penetrate past the epidermis into the dermal layer and enter your blood stream.

Your mucous linings in your sinuses have been 'burned' by the product. Kylie