Hello! I am about to have a full colectomy and even though I have been introduced to the whole procedure I am interested in what happens after. Thank you very much for your time!

After having your colon removed the doctor will create an opening to the intestine through the wall of the abdomen where intestinal contents will drain from into a sealed pouch called stoma. The incision will be bandaged to keep the area clean and prevent infection. You'll need to stay in bed until the doctor says it's safe to get up. Your body may need extra oxygen and it will be given either through a plastic mask over your mouth and nose or through nasal prongs. If it bothers you, don’t take it off but tell a nurse. You may need to do deep breathing and coughing exercises to prevent a lung infection after surgery. You will probably have to use Incentive spirometer, which is a piece of equipment helps you take deeper breaths. Thin rubber tubes may be put into the area around your incision to drain off excess fluid. They are called drains. Pressure Stockings keep blood from collecting in the legs and causing clots. You'll need to rest in bed for a while. But even when you are confined to bed, it's important exercise your legs in order to stop blood clots from forming. About nutrition: you will probably get ice chips first and then liquids (water, broth, apple juice, or soda). If you do not have problems with the liquids, you'll then be allowed to eat soft foods such as ice cream, applesauce, or custard. If these foods agree with you, you can return to a regular diet. Foley Catheter is a tube that is sometimes inserted into the bladder to drain the urine. The catheter may make you feel as though have to urinate. Relax and the catheter will drain the urine for you. About the medicines: Antibiotics help prevent bacterial infection. They may be given by IV, as a shot, or by mouth. Pain Medicine ease pain after the operation, your doctor will probably prescribe medication to be given by IV, as a shot, or by mouth and anti-nausea medicine to calm your stomach and controls vomiting. I hope I didn’t scare you with all the stuff. It is tough, but have faith and be strong! I wish you good luck!!!!

I had a total open colectomy five months ago. I was in ICU for 8 days. four of which I remember nothing. The last four went pretty well. I recovered quickly and was off all pain meds by day five. My incision is from my breast bone to my groin. I had to have my spleen removed due to adhereing. I had a central line which was wonderful. I was on TPN for the eight days but resumed a normal diet by the second week. My biggest problem is with burping...if I do not force out as much air as possible with every drink or bite I get horrible gas/air pains. They cause vomiting and light headedness. It seems as though my small intestine just can't accomadate any dialations from the extra air. After five months I believe this is jusy my life. Outside of that the surgery was a complete suggest.
I would do it again in a heart beat!

I JUST HAD MY ENTIRE COLON REMOVED. THE DOCTOR HOOKED MY SMALL INTESTINE TO MY RECTUM. I HAD ALL KINDS OF COMPLICATIONS. I STAYED IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 16 DAYS. I HAVE BEEN HOME FOR A LITTLE OVER A WEEK NOW. I AM GETTING BETTER, BUT HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE SWELLING GOING DOWN IN MY STOMACH. MY BOWELS KEEP GOING TO SLEEP. MY DR. SAYS I AM A "STRANGE BIRD". I HAVE ALSO DEVELOPED PLURACY (NOT SURE HOW TO SPELL IT). I THINK THAT IS WORSE THAN THE SURGERY. I AM STILL HAVING TROUBLE EATING. NOT THROWING UP, JUST CAN'T EAT. I AM TAKING MIRALAX TO TRY TO KEEP MY BOWELS AWAKE. IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING.
I HOPE YOUR SURGERY GOES WELL. I AM ALSO BI-POLAR AND HAD SEVERE ANXIETY ATTACKS WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL, SO THAT MADE IT WORSE.
I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.
GOOD LUCK
PATTY