I have a strange breathing disorder that I've suffered from for a very long time. During the day, I can breathe about 95% through one nostril and 50% through the other. It alternates between nostrils. I do not notice anything unless I hold one of my nostrils closed.

This problem gets worse as I go to sleep. When i lay on my back, each nostril gets about 50% air flow. When I sleep on my side, the nostril facing down becomes completely obstructed. 0% air flow, while the other one gets about 90%. Interestingly, when I alternate sides, the obstruction alternates as well.

I have tried the following medications with no result:
- Sudafed Nasal Decongestant (pseudoephedrine HCL 30mg)
- Nasacort AQ (perscription)
- Neti pot nasal irrigation

The only thing that has given me relief is the Afrin nasal spray (Oxymetazoline HCl) However, the relief is only temporary and the spray is not to be used for more than three days.

Please help, Thank you very much!

None of those medications didn't help you? Who prescribed all those medications for you and why someone didn't give you a spray that you can use more than three days for your sinus inflammation? I am not sure if there any cure for it, but it must be somewhere. I always say that our noses are the place of mystery. But I think that once I read that one doctor, expert or whatever he likes to be called, said that this, so-called erectile tissue in your nose is in a constant cycle that helps with the flow of nasal air and your sense of smell. 

Just letting you know I have that too - :-( I talked with my Doc and he said it may be polyps... You could try Ancient Secrets - Nasal Cleansing Neti Pot Cleans me out but only helps a bit - looks creepy, but it's not Hope that helps you...

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have the same thing, all my life. However, when I sleep on my side, I believe the nostril on top is the one that becomes completely obstructed and the one on the bottom opens up. I remember when I was in Junior High I realized that the obstruction 'floated up', which made no sense to me, but then I learned in college that maybe its the sinuses at the side of the nose thats putting pressure... so the one on the bottom would fall away, and the one on top would put pressure on the nostril on the top.

I can generally breathe about 90% through one nostril and maybe 10%-20% through the other. The only time its great when it is in the middle of transition, then its about 80% good through both nostrils.

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I am not overweight. I believe my sleep apnea to be caused by this issue.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM for over 4 years now, same exact, I can tell when the transition occurs, it will move from one side to the other, head pressure, F***ING MISERABLE existence. Have not had real sleep in over 4 years...3 ENTs, 2 Allergists, Neuro-Doc, then don't know S***. Anyone found any relief? EVEN A LITTLE BIT?

i had it since i was 7 or 8..i'm 18 this year.then since last saturday this just turned bad.for all 4 days i can only breath through one nostril which allow only about 20% air,the other one completely blocked.as how you guys having,when i sleep on side,the lower side get blocked completely and the upper one allows around 40% air,and i can feel the transition going too.
my symptoms (since this gone bad):
A LOT of phlegm => firstly is in thick yellow color when i wake up, after i spit it out through my nose for around 4 times, it turned to white and bubblish, sticky...then after spitting it out few more times it turned crystal clear but still sticky. i can actually pull it out by my finger!

very heavy blockage. i can NEVER breath using both nostrils.even when transition happens, both nostrils just get blocked.until it is completed,then only i can breath a little through another nostril...average switching time is around 4 ro 5 hours. dont ask me why it is tat constant...

after ENT scan,observed BIG BIG inflammed lump of meat (last month was 1 only,now got 3) in both my nostril.showed that 95% of my nostril is blocked.and the remaining space is fully filled with mucous and phlegm..
my doc said that IT CAN CAUSE BLIND AND BRAIN DAMAGE IF IT GOES UP TO EYE AND FOREHEAD SPACE!

solution:
i've tried Sterimar seawater (for nasal cleaning)
Nasacort Aqua 120 ML
(dunno wat the heck is this, but it said if used more than twice daily can cause nerve damage)
Telfast D (fexofenadine HCI + pseudoephedrine HCI) (allergiy purpose)

well they worked, for 2 weeks..then i dont c any effects after that..until it get worse, after 2nd ENT scan, i will go for OPERATION this saturday as that is THE ONLY long term solution for this.blame those inflammed meat away and it should stop for the rest of my life.100% success rate, 90% recovery rate,no damage to your pretty face, medical fees can claim from insurance company, only need to rest for a day and after a week it should be completely recovered. so why not?

for those above me, please consult an ENT specialist and go for operation if you may..

I m suffering from a chronic nostril blockage and want to discuss with u regarding the same...

i Have had these problem for a long time..........too.. I when to the doctor and they told me the same thing "allergies" i have done a lot of research and it seem to be a thing you have to live with.......... and we should stay away from and form of smoking it only makes it worsen
.........

YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CURE THT THING (NOSE BLOACKAGE) ONE OF MY FRIENDS HAD THIS SAME THING A ENT SPECIALIST IN INDIA WHO OPERATES THE NOSE AND THE WHOLE THING IS CURED ........ :-P HIS NOSE WAS LIKE BENDED TO ONE SIDE SO 20% GOES TO ONE SIDE 80% GOES TO THE OTHER...THIS DOCTOR IN THE APOLLO IN SRILANKA OR INDIA

My problem is similar (single-side nasal blockage). In my case, blockage only occurs when I'm in bed (horizontal). Unlike others, my sinuses clear within seconds after I stand up. Also unlike others, I rarely experience nasal blockage when sitting or standing.

I didn't see this thread, so I started my own:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Sinus_issues_only_at_night_t224424.html

Astelin (0.10% Azelastine) is the only nasal "decongestant" spray I'm aware of that can be used on a continual basis without risk of addiction (rebound effect). It's expensive but may be worth the cost, and since it's only available on a prescription, it should be covered by most insurance plans. AstePro is same except 0.15% strength.
I tried AstePro but it doesn't last long enough to allow me to sleep through the night. Once awake, I usually have trouble getting back to sleep (a common condition as we get older).

Two doctors referred to my condition as vasomotor rhinitis, a non-inflammatory rhinitis that involves a non-allergic trigger. Based on a quick survey of web references, vasomotor rhinitis is a general diagnosis and is not well understood; more research is needed.

I suspect in my case, the condition may be the result of childhood overuse of nasal drops and sprays. Now, even one use of Afrin or other nasal decongestant spray causes severe rebound.

I agree with another poster that a surgical procedure (septoplasty) could alleviate your problems. It seems that a deviated septum is a more common problem than previously thought. Please have a consultation with an ENT (ear-nose-throat specialist) to determine what treatments might be available.

I just had this surgery yesterday; I was able to leave the hospital the same day. Because I live in a country where health and quality of life is highly valued no matter how rich or poor one is (Canada), the bulk of the cost (surgery) was covered by the national health care system. Because I first had a good consultation with the surgeon, who demonstrated enthusiasm about his work and answered all my questions patiently and with a positive attitude, I went into the surgery feeling 100%. The surgery went well, and my recovery has been progressing very well.

Breathing is one of the most important biological functions of our entire existence; anything that can be done to optimize it is worth some temporary pain/suffering (about a week in the case of a septoplasty, and pain control options are highly compatible and widely available), and even the (reasonable) financial burden if your healthcare system doesn't cover it.

I hope this information can help others.

Namaste.

(I tried to reply as a 'Guest', then decided to register to get the post to appear sooner, but the system is somewhat broken in that regard, so I apologize if this is a repost)...

Namaste.

I apologize for a factual error: it was my provincial public healthcare system that bore the cost of the procedure, but the point is that I believe public healthcare to be the best compromise we have at present. Thanks for reading.

I'm another one with this problem. I'm pretty sure its just some mucus that has built up but nothing really gets it out and I don't have health insurance. I've lived with it for years. Nice to find I'm not the only one.

Anyone with any mucus problems should stop eating bananas, they make mucus, I stopped and my problems slowly went.