My doctor wants to fix my deviated septum. I have dry throat for past six months because of this. I know that is not major surgery but I would like to hear a little about it. Anyone here experienced surgery of deviated septum? Thanks.

The surgery of deviated septum is not fun I must tell you. I am still healing and I hope that in next two weeks I will know if I snore anymore. However, I already can breathe a lot better and my throat certainly feels wide open. I just placed myself in the hand if surgeon because I’ve heard good stuff about him.

Hi, I had septoplasty, a urgical treatment to correct nasal septums. Since, then I have much less sinusitis problems. My nose is not congested, I can breath normaly and don’t have to take nasal sprey everywhere around. The ideal nasal septum should be exactly midline, separating the nose into two passageways of equal size. But, most people have deviations from center, and it is not generally noticed. A "deviated septum" occurs when the septum is severely shifted away from the midline. this results in breathing problems and can provoke repeated sinus infections. A surgery is easily performed and has extremely low risk for patient.

Has anyone done this operation before and what is the effect after surgery? My doctor asked me to go for this surgery as the medication does not work.

This is an old thread, but I figured I'd throw in my experience for anyone who comes across this later on. I had deviated septum surgery about 8 years ago when I was 17. I really, really, really hurt. A lot. As in a speck of dust would land on my nose and I would start crying like a baby. The procedure is basically as follows:
You're put to sleep
Your nose is broken
Your nose is reset
You have 'packing' put into your nose to hold the septum in place
You wake up
You cry... and cry... and cry...

I wasn't able to do anything for about 3 weeks except sit on the couch and try not to think about breathing, sneezing, coughing, or moving.

The worst part was probably when they removed the packing from my nose. The packing itself is like a sponge around a tube, one per nostril, and it was long enough to go into my sinuses (I thought it would have been rubbing against my brain it was so long). The 'doctor' removing the packing simply snipped the stitch holding each packing to my nose, took a pair of pliers, and YANKED each one out. As soon as the first one was removed, blood spurted out, all over me and the doctor. He then proceeded to yell at me to 'stop bleeding on him' and yanked the other one out just as fast/hard. He then left the room while I started to go into shock. Thankfully my girlfriend (now wife) was in the room, and she noticed I had gone white and started to shiver. She called the doctor back in and he made me lay back in the chair and take deep breaths through my mouth to get over both the pain and the nose bleeding.

Anyhow, about a year later I mentioned to my new GP that I had deviated septum surgery, and he asked if it worked. I said 'no' (since I still had constant sniffling, colds, and blocked nasal passages) and he said that the surgery only has a 50% chance of working to start with. Needless to say, I was pissed, as no one told me those odds. Therefore, I recommend unless it's a life-or-death thing, DON'T get the surgery, live with the sniffling, and hope that you are reincarnated as someone with a non-deviated septum.

this is the biggest load of bs. you nose is not broken when u had surgery on your deviated septum . and it barley hurts. i had my done this morning at 730 am. i have tampons lol up my nose till friday, and yea its bleeding but, it really doesnt hurt.

Agreed, the post by KellyInAlbany is total BS. I had mine done on Monday, very little pain, a small amount of fluid dripping for Tuesday and Wednesday Dripping seems to be tapering off today, which is Thursday.

That's exactly the way they did in 70's.
They either broke your nose from the top, or go under your lip without breaking your nose.
They put stuff in your nose, then take it out after few days.
However, it is much easier these days.
My co-worker got hers done with laser when I was in Orlando, FL. Basically, they soften the cartledge in your nose, then reshape it.
I went to the same doctor, but he advised against for the same procedure since mine is not that bad. Instead, he gave me a prescription for this expensive nose spray - forgot the name of it. You see the tv ad all the time with voice of Antonio Vendarras as a honey bee.
I've moved to NY/NJ area since, and I'm looking for a surgent who can do the same laser surgery.
Let me know if anyone know one.
_[removed]_.
Thanks,

The procedure they use today doesn't even require packing in the nose...they use a splint that's taken out about a week after the surgery and patients have one small stich at the bottom of the nostril from the incision.

Just had mine done on Friday. Surgery was out patient and it took approx. 1.5 hours. They did have some packing in the nose for approx 15 min. after the surgery (to minimize bleeding because I bleed badly) but it was removed before I left the clinic. It's been 2 days. My nose is stuffy but I think it will get better as time goes by. I use saline spray to keep things moist. Over all it has been a little uncomfortable but I'm only 48 hour into my healing time. I'll follow up in a week to let you know my thoughts after I've healed.

BTW my symptoms were the same as most, chronic congestion but no infections. I did carry afrin with me but limited its use. I also used breath rite strips so we'll see.

My surgeon did make me go through the process of checking for allergy's also.

Does anyone know what I would be in for if I have an ENT fix my twisted sinus passages and deviated septum and then have a plastic surgeon come in and make my nose straighter and smaller? I heard about the packing too and I am hoping I don't have to go through that. Would I be crazy to do it 5 days before Christmas and have 2 weeks off from work?

i just had this proceedure done. it was tuesday morning and today its thursday morning. it wasn't real painful but im also taking percocets so im not in pain or discomfort. the worst part for me so far is the packing and splits are still in my nose and i have to wait until tuesday for them to remove it, 1 weeks time. this is very uncomfortable and although im not bleeding no more, my nose is leaking and its a pain in the rear. all i want to do is have this stuff removed but i have to wait like everyone else. i guess a week of discomfort will be worth it if all goes well.

good luck, if i could go back would i do it again i'd say yes.

I had surgery for a deviated septum 16 years ago and it was HELL. The packing and pain was awful. I took meds and slept as much as possible. I was told I moaned in pain a lot. When they took the packing out over a week later, I thought they were goign to pull my brain out with it. It was soooo long. GRosss!! 16 years later I still have a deviated septum. 90% blockage. I went to see an ENT doc this time. 16 years ago I went to a cosmetic surgeon. This doctor will do the surgery on ther 28th. NO packing just desolving stitches. I believe he is also using lazer which is less invasive , less bleeding etc.. I am nervous BUT I believe it will be a walk in the park compared to how they did it 16 years ago.

I just went in for a consultation today because my doctor has recommended a septoplasty for me, and they told me that they will "reshape the cartiledge" (break your nose) and reset it. They do in fact break your nose. I am not so eager to have this surgery since I am hearing mixed reactions about it. Last year I had a Tonsillectomy and was out of work and on te couch for two and a half weeks (24 years old at the time). Recovery time seems to be lengethened the older you get :-) When I awoke in the recovery room of the out patient hospital, there was a man across the room with an ice pack on his face just moaning and crying. When I asked what was wrong with him..the nurse told me he had just had a septoplasty. (My doctor wanted to do the tonsillectomy and septoplasty at the same time...YA RIGHT!)

Everyone recovers differently, and doctors each use different procedures (splints or padding). Whatever you do, make sure you get the most information possible before deciding on this surgery.

I must have an incredibly high threshold for pain, that or the previous posts are total BS.

It doesn't hurt. I was off pain meds before 24hours was up, that included Tylenol. I was bored and ready to go back to work within 3 days. I didn't bleed that much and I didn't lie around crying. No packing, just splints, and it doesn’t hurt.

I'm following my doctor's orders, no heavy lifting, no bending, and irrigation, irrigation, irrigation. The nasal stuffiness is the most irritating part, followed by the dry mouth, both easily fixable.

I was so scared by the time I got to surgery because of all the doom-and-gloom people telling me how bad it hurt, how little it helped and such. They were 100% wrong! If you are thinking of this surgery, or have been told by your doctor you need it, don’t hesitate! I’m only a week past surgery, I had surgery on Wednesday and have been back to work since Monday, and have no pain. I’m a little stuffy, but septoplasty is SURGERY. You must expect swelling!

Put on your big girl panties and get over it.