I’m thinking to stop smoking but, you probably know, it’s very hard to make that decision. I need really good reason for that. My girlfriend told me that smoking may cause collapsed lungs but I think that it’s too much. So, does anybody know can smoking cause lungs to collapse?

Yes, of course. Smoking can increase your risk of developing pneumothorax, a condition that can cause the lung to collapse. Pneumothorax occurs when air escapes from the lungs or leaks through the chest wall and enters the pleural cavity, causing the lung to eventually collapse. Now you have good reason to leave cigarettes.

My sister's lung collapsed from many years of smoking. We lost her recently because of this. She was only 45.

Even without developing pneumothorax, smoking is a horribly destructive habit with no redeeming value whatsoever. It's an all out assault on your body's vital functions and causes a range of diseases, not the least of which, heart disease and lung cancer.

So it's hard to see the dilemma in the decision to quit. You should fear more than a collapsed lung.

I know this post is old. I found it in a google search. Anyways, I used to smoke cannabis alot and my lung collapsed about 5 times until they finally did surgery to fix it. They said that collapsed lungs occur often in young thin males. They said it was a "spontaneous phnemothorax" and never really said anything about cannabis smoking being the cause of it. But I am pretty sure smoking didn't help. So overall I doubt your lungs will collapse unless you are already prone to it, but still smoking does not help. Try vaporizing or at least using a filter instead. And try not to smoke bongs because the big inhalations can't be healthy for your lungs. For filters check out happycheif dot com. Or you can stop smoking completely and good bud brownies. By the way I don't smoke anymore and I haven't had my lung collapse since. I don't think smoking was the direct cause of my lungs collapsing but I'm pretty sure it didn't help at all.

A friend of mine with medium height, 20 years of age, thin frame and in a near perfectly fit physical state picked up smoking almost overnight, going from 5 to 15 cigarettes a day in a matter of months. He woke up one morning half a year later thinking he was having a heart attack. His left lung had collapsed, and after cycling the 2 miles to the hospital on his bike, he could quite easily have died. Could have been a coincidence, but he decided not to take the chance that continuing smoking might cause it to happen again. I suppose the question is: Do you want to wait for smoking to eventually cause enough damage to your body and learn your lesson then? Or quit smoking now? A collapsed lung is not the most serious potential consequence of smoking by far.

I know this is an old post but I would like to tell you about my pnumothorax story because it is very unique and different from most cases. Just to give you a small background I am a female 28 years old and I was 112 lbs at the time 5ft5 and a smoker for ten years, smoking those little cigars mostly and a cigarette every now and then. I was sitting on my couch watching a movie when all of a sudden I had chest pain. I decided to wait till the mourning because I thought it was indigestion etc. I woke up in the mourning, it was worse. I went to the hospital took blood work, they put an oxygen mask on me and they did an x ray. They told me I had spontaneous pnumothorax (collapsed lung) which is caused by a hole somewhere in the lung caused by a ruptured cyst or bleb. I was shocked as much as they were, here I was a pretty young healthy girl in the hospital for a collapsed lung. They looked at the x ray, they also did an MRI and extra blood work etc and everything was normal. They asked me if I smoked I said yes so they can only guess that had some kind of contribution, but they were not sure because they have not seen images the outside and the inside of my lung. So they put tubes in me to suck the air out of my lungs. I was in the hospital for a week and a half before they told me to do the surgery. Now when they had the tubes in me I notices that the liquid that was coming out from my lungs was the tiniest bit of discoloration but mostly clear. I can only assume that the tiny amount of discoloration was from the smoking. Me and the doctors, which were many because my case was unique, were very pleased to see the smallest amount of discoloration in the liquid especially since I have been smoking for years, go figure lol..Anyways I did the surgery and after the surgery the doctors took photos of the inside and the outside of my lung and to their and my astonishment the photos shows that I had NO LUNG DAMAGE and my lungs were PINK AND HEALTHY! Smoking was not the cause of my spontaneous pnumothorax at all, and I had perfect healthy lungs with the smallest exception of discoloration in the fluids which was 1% it was 98% clear. So all in all the ten years of smoking had no effect on my lungs and health what so ever! He said it would have been different if I had smoked cigarettes! He asked me if I had any trauma lately and I had told him well not too long ago my girlfriend hit me on the back in my lung area, and I had shoveled snow for two days non stop during the recent Chicago blizzard, he told me all of that had caused my lungs to rupture because there was no physical evidence that anything else contributed to it. I took blood tests, Xray's MRI I had pictures of my lungs, I was healthy!. So folks everybody handles smoking and trauma different. I even took a genetics test. I have no cancer genetics at all so that explains me not having any lung damage at all, even for smoking cigars almost every day. My heart is healthy, it is the size it is supposed to be, they did tell me that I had to gain a little bit of weight but that's it. Since then I have gained about ten healthy pounds and I did quit smoking just because I couldn't smoke for those two and a half weeks I was in the hospital but that's it. Go figure!

Quote:

Your lungs may look healthy and be all pinky but smoking causes blebs to rupture that you may have been born with (congetinal)-without any predisposition of any lung disease.

Actually smoking weed will cause a spontaneous pneumothorax before smoking cigarettes will. As a female who has had bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax I have educated myself. Smoking does not cause a pneumothorax. Flat out doctors do not know what causes them. They generally happen more in men than in women and generally happen in tall and skinny people more than heavier people. I was 27 when I had my first one (the left lung) and 28 (3 weeks ago now) when my right lung collapsed. I smoked for 14 years, started when I was 14, and smoked a pack a day for the 14 years. My thoracic sergeon told me herself smoking does not cause them, it just doesn't help them. I had chest tubes with both lungs and no surgery. My first lung was 50% collapsed the second was 100% collapsed with heart moving into empty cavity. I'm not really sure how you had clear, with 1% discoloration, discharge sense it's blood and air that fill the space, but ok. I smoked for 14 years and had no discolorated discharge from my tube just air and blood. It doesn't matter if you smoke cigars or cigarettes they both have the same thing in them. I have quit smoking (3 weeks now) and the first two weeks were the worse and sometimes after a big meal I start to walk for the door to have my ciggy. But catch myself and smile because I'm not tied down by that little cancer stick anymore! However if you are born with these little sacks, smoking drugs (weed, crack, meth) of any kind where you hold it in and then cough really hard can pop the little sacs. Actually a hard cough or sneeze even with a non smoker can cause it to happen. My cousin who has never smoked a day in his life, parents don't smoke, doesn't do any drugs or drink alcohol had his collapse and had to have a titanium staple put in it and have it scraped. His were way worse than mine and I smoked for 14 years so dont even try saying smoking causes it!

Bottom line, quit when your ready or you never will quit. Your lung will collapse whether you smoke or not if you had that birth issue... If you try to quit when you don't want to or are not ready, you will not be successful at quitting.

Hi, I am just 24 and currently suffering from spontaneous pneumothorax.  I have habbit of smoking 2-3 cigarettes a  day since 4 years. I need more suggestions. I quit smoking now. How can I completely get it cured?

No, smoking cigarrettes does NOT cause collaped lung or lungs (pneumothorax). Smoking can irritate any and everything to do with our body though. Smoking will cause harm to your body sooner or later, so it's best to stop now! But smoking Does NOT CAUSE Pneumothorax. Blebs cause Pneumothorax .... A hard enough blow to the chest can cause a Pneumothorax and can cause a person heart to stop causing death if the person is hit in the area surrounding the heart .... A broken or fractured rib can cause a Pneumothorax ..... A high impact fall can caused a Pneumothorax ..... Being on a ventilator can cause a Pneumothorax but benefits outweigh the risk .... It IS possible that smoking Pot can cause Pneumothorax because of the extreme sudden deep inhaling, which can cause a Bleb or a Collapse ..... Airplane Pilots and Scuba Divers are very subseptable to getting Pneumothorax as well. There are many different types of Pneumothorax (collapsed lung). And once you've had one...you are susceptible to having another. Smoking ANYTHING, whether it be cigerrettes or anything else hinders any and everything our body is suppose to do natually and it does have the same effect on every organ and every cell in the human body.... But smoking does not usually cause a person to have a pneumothorax unless there is an underlying problem, illness or injury. I know.... I've been through he'll because of a blow to the chest and I've asked my doctor and my surgeon every single question imaginable and researched and verified with doctors my finding. My advice..... Listen to your girlfriend, and Please Stop Smoking! ....Smoking Is NOT Worth ANYTHING! ...Our Health IS Worth EVERYTHING though ..........

"My sister's lung collapsed from many years of smoking. We lost her recently because of this. She was only 45."

Im very sorry about the loss of your sister. But smoking cigarettes Does NOT cause a persons lungs to collapse. There was likely an underlying condition, such as a bleb, trauma or lung cancer or some sort of pulmonary disease that was actually the cause of the pneumothorax. But
smoking it's self, doesn't cause pneumothorax. No doubt about it... No one should smoke.

My brother is in ICU on life support from a collapsed lung due to smoking. My father died of lung cancer due to smoking. My mother died from bad circulation/arteries due to smoking. QUIT NOW :(

How long was she smoking?

37 smoked since 15 had full right lung collapse, aspirator tube sucked 8ltrs of air out, lung came up half way, then had chest tube, in for 5 days, scared the c**p out of me, haven't smoked since used nicotine gum but got mega sore spots on face from it and have one in my mouth constantly , can I use an e cig ??? I think if I've had a sp your a risk of having another but if you smoke your higher risk .

Heavy smoking can cause a weakness in lung wall or emphysema which can cause sp, so I think yes smoking can cause this.