So, I have this friend. Whenever we're around people...either at parties or a friends houses and they're smokin marijuana she won't be around it. She claims she tried to smoke it once but broke out in hives. But whenever shes around it now...she doesnt try to smoke...she just wont be around the smoke caused by it. Granted she seems to be allergic to everything...can she be allergic to marijuana smoke...and could it make her break out in hives? Or is it just that since she's so sensitive to a lot of things...marijuana smoke could irritate that? Cuz if she was allergic to marijuana smoke wouldnt she be allergic to cigarette smoke too? Cuz if she's not I really wanna print out a written statement sayin she can't and hand it to her...then maybe she'll stop being such a crybaby about it. Anyone have an answer? Thanks!

YES someone can be allergic to second hand marijuana smoke. I am. Typically my nerves become really agitated, I will have the shakes, hyper ventilate, and my lungs will feel like they are tight or burning up. Sometimes i will be nauseated. If my roommate smokes it at night, which she usually does, i will not be able to fall back asleep for the rest of the night. ( i have talked to my roommate about this, she said she would stop, but you kno, its been only 2 days since we had a talk and she's already doing it again. its going to get ugly... obviously i have lost alot of sleep because of this) My parents smoke and i am allergic to cigarette smoke and any kind of smoke(will have headaches, loss of appetite, i even have headaches from insense) but i CAN sleep through that. I dont kno if ppl who have marijuana allergy are always allergic to cigarette smoke. If you take into consideration the thousands of people who have different combinations of allergies then the logical answer is no. If she is allergic, then she is allergic. People with allergies typically dont lie about what they are allergic to, cuz that mess is nothin' to play around about. I've never had hives before but i dont think its one of those things someone would want to experience more than they have to. From another topic... Danny wrote:

If you only touch marijuana and do not smoke it, you can also be allergic to it, for instance rashes, shortness of breath and other asthma-like problems, fatigue or unusual mood swings. Also, if you are in contact with marijuana for a longer period, there is a possibility that you would develop contact dermatitis, watery eyes, sneezing etc. As the matter of internal allergic reactions, you could develop flu-like symptoms such as sore throat, headaches and fatigue. It would be good for you if you abstained from smoking it for a while and check if the sore throat would go away. There is a way to test if you are allergic to THC in particular, so if you can get a Marinol pill, rub it on a skin and see if there will be some reactions. So if you are not allergic to THC but in some other substances in grass, you could use water hash water-washed kief or ether-refined THC oil instead. The best solution for you would be to quit smoking pot for good, as it is yet making you troubles, but.. decision is up to you.

she could have vasomotor rhinitis

Folks I've known who were allergic to any kind of smoke usually had respiratory problems because of it, not dermal reactions. Hives and other dermal irritation usually comes with skin contact with the item the person is allergic to. Granted there are exceptions to every medical rule but it sounds more like your friend is afraid of getting high and so she's relying on a reason not to be around it that no amount of peer pressure can get around (can't argue with an allergy).

I smoked pot for years and had no problems with it. Then one day I started having symptoms that felt a lot like really bad hayfever or a head cold. I discovered over a couple of months that the symptoms were worst right after smoking the stuff and if I didn't smoke any for as little as 24 hours, they got better. After experimenting with different kinds (to see if it was a fertilizer or something that I was reacting to) I quit the stuff. It was marijuana I was allergic to: The more I smoked, the worse the symptoms were. When I smoked less, the symptoms went away. Hard to argue with that.

I've had other allergies suddenly crop up over time and I've had others go away for no apparent reason. Makes sense that it could happen with cannabis too, since it's just a plant - like ragweed, like dandelions, like any other kind of weed that people are allergic to.

Actually I am allergic to smoke as well. I love to smoke pot, but whenever i do, for the two weeks after i got bumps all over my body, on my head and sometimes my face, and definitely all on my chest and torso. They usually stay for a while. I take maybe a month for them to go away completely. I also get a lot of swelling in my armpits.... Yes it sucks but it is the truth. I have now cut the habit, though i love it, it isnt worth it in the end for me at least. so your answer is a YES!

for the past 7-8 months i have been breaking out with hives. i smoke weed before after and in between. but i also take 1-2 allergy pills for it which will take them away for a day or two. but i haven't had them go away for good. i dont think it is the bud because that is all i smoke and it doesn't always happen. i took a hit of some hash(LOTS AND LOTS OF THC) and that is when my whole body started to bubble up. i wasn't thinking that was the problem but i didn't smoke hash for a month and so when i encountered it this time the whole left side of my face started to swell and when i woke up this morning it was really bad the swelling was my whole lip, my cheek, and my eye which is probably the most irritating part about it. all i am trying to say is my cure was an allergy pill i went to the dr. and she perscribed me with claritin. but i couldn't take that it upset my stomach.. the allergy pills work for me.

Here in PA. Im also allergic to pot/weed whatever you want to call it. I've even tried just touching it and my skin gets irritated fast! The smoke causes me to run out of breath immediately and start coughing bad! My face swells up and i get hives on my arms and other parts of my body. It plain suks really.

I've come to carry and emergency pack of Claritin or any allergy pill that I can get a hold off just for emergencies. I've found myself at night clubs all messed up cause some1 in the room was sneaking a smoke in the corner on the far side!

People don't believe me, but there is serious medical explanations for it.

I was a smoker and allergic to pot smoke. Tobacco and marijuana are 2 completely different plants, so yes, you can be allergic to one while not bothered by the other. For many people, rather than breaking out in hives, they develop asthmatic-like conditions while in contact with the smoke. This can be life threatening.

I also would like to contradict the person who claimed that it is an exception for someone to get hives from something that they did not come in direct contact with. That is COMPLETELY FALSE. It was, in fact, one of the first questions a doctor asked me when I came into the emergency room with terrible hives all over. Inhalation of an allergen is just as likely as contact although for allover hives, it is usually inhalation or eating the allergen.

I think you are a terrible friend. Learn basic courtesy. If you want to smoke pot, do it on your own.

Hi DelonixRegia, i know its ages since you posted on this topic but i was wondering if you had found any answers to your reaction? My boyfriend lives next door to somone who constantly smokes weed/ skunk/ whatever in the room next to his and has the same reactions that you described. Have you found anything that helps and how long does it take after each exposure for the symptoms to go down. Thanks, x

It's not even to feel cool, it's to 'make themselves feel better' because they're incapable of enjoying and appreciating things on their own without having to resort to seeking substances.

But to whomever stated that she's 'afraid to get high', that's BS.

She broke out in HIVES.

It's an ALLERGY.

I've never HAD to smoke it to know I'm allergic to it.

All I had to do was walk in to my ex-boyfriend's house and take a few breathes and I'd start getting sick to my stomach and develop a severe migraine, because his house REEKED of the sh*t. And whenever he or his stupid friends would light up when I was trying to hide in his room away from it, I could STILL smell it because my allergy made me hypersensitive and it just spread EVERYWHERE, and ended up throwing up a few times on separate occasions.

I work for a Medical Marijuana Cooperative in California. I am also allergic to marijuana smoke! My face swells from it. Does my allergy preclude the usefulness of marijuana for those patients who use it? No! I see patients every day who use marijuana to control their pain, I hear tons of stories about how messed up these patients were on various prescription medications before discovering that marijuana could control their pain with far fewer side effects, and it touches my heart. I have met patients with rare diseases, cancers, glaucoma, who are undergoing chemotherapy, dialysis, and in each and every case, marijuana has brought incredible levels of relief they haven't found with any other drug.
Marijuana has a bad reputation because of its popularity as a party drug, but, it is a plant with medicinal properties just like any other plant used for medicinal properties in modern medicine. Just like many other prescription drugs, when used in someone healthy, it messes them up and gets them "high", whereas, in people who need it, it goes to their pain and can relieve their symptoms.

In my case, I am allergic to Naprosyn, Tylenol, raw eggs, milk, pine nuts, grass pollen, weed pollen, and yes, marijuana smoke. I can only hope that whatever drug works for whatever pain I have in my life will be available at the pharmacy by prescription, and that I will not have to go to a street vendor to buy it illegally because of some law that bans it completely without regard for its medicinal purposes. I think it is incredibly sad to hear stories of cancer patients buying marijuana from a drug dealer and risking their lives to do so, if a drug can help, we should, as a society, make that drug available, and not allow our preconcieved notions or prejudices get in the way!

hey i went to a metallica concert and then broke out in hives. i dont smoke it, but is this a reaction to pot smoke that filled the stadium i was in?

XD I smoke pot a lot and I have a friend that can't even walk into my room without getting a rash... He's very allergic to the smoke from Marijuana. If he were to smoke it himself he'd probablly die or have to go to the emergency room. o.O

I smoke and I break out in like itchy bumps. Its immediate, as soon as I smoke it happens, then a few hours later it goes away. I went to the Metallica concert @ Phillips Arena, I didn't smoke but I could smell it burning throughout the place.

Yes, it is totally possible to be allergic to pot. I am myself. I have not gotten hives from it but every time I am around the smoke (in one case 2 hours after my friends had stopped smoking) I develop massive headaches and throw up multiple times and am usually still sick the next day. I am however not allergic to cigarette smoke. The chemicals are not the same in both.
For others asking, there usually is not a remedy to this except to avoid being around pot and its smoke.