Well after reading countless sometimes helpful and sometimes petrifying posts i finally had my turbinate reduction done about 4 days ago. i must say that these forums are a huge help and really helped me to prepare for what was to be expected and what is normal etc. i think sometimes doctors don't think we want to hear the gory details so to speak but if you are anything like me then you want to know everything that is going to happen!
I would like to share my experience as it really has been a very positive one so far.
basically i have had a really badly congested nose for a number of years, don't know if it is hereditary as a few people in our family suffer with it too. anyway like many others the only way i could get any relief was to use the over the couner decongestant sprays. the addiction to these got quite bad and i was waking a few times during the night to have a spray. i did go the the doctors on a number of occasions and tried nearly everything in the book including steroid injections, various nasal sprays and drops and a few natural remedies too but nothng helped.
think the doctor finally got sick of me and referred me to the hospital. where i was told i had enlarged turbinates and was scheduled for turbinoplasty. the consultant at the time said the operation was roughly 80% effective however on the day of the operation the surgeon told me 50% i must say i was so nervous at this point that i nearly made a run for it. he also told me that my nose would be really blocked up afterwards for 4 weeks.
I was very concerend about the whole empty nose syndrome you read lots about but the surgeon told me that the process i was having was the one where they trim some of the bone which leaves the mucosa in tact so it was very rare.
i was also very concerned about the packing but he explained that they very rarely do that nowadays unless totally necessary. phew!
After going down to theatre the next thing i remember is coming around and the them telling me to breathe through my mouth. they asked me what my pain was like on a scale of 1 to 10. i said about a 7 and they give me a little morphine. to be honest it was my throat from the tube they inserted during surgery that hurt the most and i am not lying when i say that since initially waking up i have had no pain whatsoever in my nose (apart from the packing being removed) and havent had to use any more pain relief at all.
still lying in recovery the surgeon came up and told me the op had gone well but they had decided to pack my nose in case it bled as they didnt want to have to put packing in later as it would hurt.
having packing was the biggest fear i had before the operation as i panic if i cannot breathe however you would be amazed at how quickly you get used to breathing through your mouth. it didnt bother me at all which i never ever thought i would say.
i didnt get much sleep that night which i think was just down to being in a strange bed and all.
the next morning i must say was awful. i don't think this happens to everyone so don't be alarmed but having the packs taken out for me was the most awful experience, albeit a necessary one. the nurse came in and injected to saline soluction into the packs to moisten them so they would apparantly slide out easily. oh my word!!! the pain was incredible and once the first side was out blood was pouring out of my nose, running down the back of my throat which i had to spit out. i was given some ice cubes to suck on to try and stop the bleeding. after what seemed like approx 30 mins it finally stopped. about another 10 minutes after this the left side of my nose started to clear and i could breathe through it although i could hear the blood bubbling with the air. not long after the right side cleared too. it just felt like i needed to blow my nose which obviously you are not allowed to do.
since then i have felt amazing. had no problem sleeping at all. my nose feels a millions time clearer than it ever did before the surgery even after just 4 days.
i rinse my nose with the saline solution every couple of hours and am always amazed at what comes out. i know it sounds totally gross but there is something totally satisfying about huge lumps of mucus and blood clots coming out it kind of feels like my nose gets clearer each time i get a big bit out.
i guess everyone is different and has a different recovery process but i hope that if anyone is planning to have this done they have the same kind of results nd recover well too
it's only been 4 days and i am over the moon with the results. i am sure that it has worked really well and looking forward to life with a nose that works!
:-D

i would love to hear how you get on!
good luck

I'm just wondering how your nose has been in the two years since the operation? Did the breathing problems recur or did the turbinoplasty solve the problem?
Many thanks.

Thank you for the post! I'm curious to know how well you are as well.

hey so 3 days ago i had my turbinates reduces, septum straightened and my something with my sinus being fixed that i didnt totally understand lol. i am 24 years old and for as long as i can remember i could never breathe through my nose. I used to wake up multiple times a night not being able to breathe because my mouth would be so dried out from sleeping with it wide open. i would get sinus migraines and was always tired. its only been 3 days and my roommate can already hear the difference in my breathing as i pass out from codeine on my couch. my sinuses feel way better too. i read a ton of posts about these surgeries prior to my surgery and scared myself like crazy, do not listen to these ppl its not as bad as it sounds. sure the first day u feel totally congested and shitty but once the packing comes it its like you are a new person, instant relief. i barely needed my pain medication and the packing being removed was probably the most painful part, but definatelly not as bad as ppl online have stated. if you are having poor quality of life due to these problems dont be too scared for the surgery, its only been 3 days and i already feel like a new person, it is worth is!

I would highly suggest that you really do your research, prior to any type of sinus surgery. If at all possible, exhaust any and all other NATURAL remedies before undergoing this procedure.

As for me, I went in for what was explained to me as a minor correction to reduce the inflamation and straighten a slightly deviated septum. Turns out, the fine doctor resected my middle turbinates, removed the uncinate process, and opened the ethmoid sinuses, none of which was explained to me. Had I known this was his intention, I would not have undergone the procedure.

To make things worse, I picked up a staph infection during the surgery, which made my entire face swell, yellow fluid pour from my nose, and the pain was overwhelming. I was back in the hospital again after being home only two days. As for my nose, it now had a slightly upturned appearance.

It's been over 14 months since my procedure. I have had nothing but continuous pain, burning and dryness ever since, and I'm currently fighting my 5th bout of staph infection. I now have lots of trouble breathing...it feels like I'm not getting any air in my lungs. I have resorted to inserting damp cotton swabs in each nostril. This helps somewhat with the dryness and burning, but doesn't fix the problem. I've been trying acupuncture which has helped ease the pain and burning, but this is costly at $70 a session.

I now live in fear of my problems getting worse (i.e., developing Empty Nose Syndrom) and what lies ahead for me. What if my the infections turn into MRSA or something far worse?

I went in to make my life a bit better. Instead, I am ten times worse off than I was before this surgery. Again, do not get this procedure unless you have no other choice.

katz wrote:

the next morning i must say was awful. i don't think this happens to everyone so don't be alarmed but having the packs taken out for me was the most awful experience, albeit a necessary one. the nurse came in and injected to saline soluction into the packs to moisten them so they would apparantly slide out easily. oh my word!!! the pain was incredible and once the first side was out blood was pouring out of my nose, running down the back of my throat which i had to spit out. i was given some ice cubes to on to try and stop the bleeding. after what seemed like approx 30 mins it finally stopped. about another 10 minutes after this the left side of my nose started to clear and i could breathe through it although i could hear the blood bubbling with the air. not long after the right side cleared too. it just felt like i needed to blow my nose which obviously you are not allowed to do.
:D

i would love to hear how you get on!
good luck

wow your lucky ive had a broken nose 7 times from car accident and careless ppl at school throwing things and getting it fixed. last year i kept experiencing like my face was cracking in half and had acid running down it. they found out i was right and it hadntnt shon on the xrays but tons of bone had grown back and calcified and my turbinates were enlarged. i have them removed last year after this revelation and i must say you are so lucky. all i got was a panadol and left in a chair for 4 hours straight after my surgery as doctor was late for everyone tons of ppl were waiting then i went home. since then my nose nerves have been damaged and i feel like theres 1000 mosquitos biting me in my nose all the way to top lip to the bridge. i have asked ppl what i should do. i was told that when im 28 i can get my nose fixed however its crooked and the nostrils are enlarged from scratching and theres a bump from all the regrowth, my nose looks so huge now :(
what do you think? nows tablets sprays prescribed stuff doesnt help jsut makes nose completely dry and hurt for days but if i dont use it it constantly runs and i cant feel it til waters coming out then it itches liek mad and i have to sprint for tissue and is runs so bad when ever i eat its sooo embarrasing

i might be going in for septoplasty and turbinoplasty since I also have the same problme as yours, the thought of tube insertion into my throat is really scary, I hope I get over with as soon as possible since I am very scared of surgeries... please help me :-(

I extremely unhappy with my surgery-now nose became fat, short, lost its natural look , I started carrying a nasal dilator for breathing, grafts Nassif added to the side walls are irritable and I splatter mucus when I laugh or exhaile heavily. After watching some video clips on youtube and Dr. 90210 I went with surgeon Paul Nassif who gave me all the above adjectives to explain my nose issues after Paul Nassif's surgery, and he charged me $21,000.00 ($21,000.00 does not include ear/rib grafts as than the price would escalate to about $25,000.00). Now I need to find good surgeons who can fix me. I feel that my journey and expenses to fix my nose started here :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I do not know who can help me out. Any suggestions about doctors who can cater for the above isses are well appreciated. Thank you

Holy cow. I normally research every medical issue I have and any drug or procedure that is recommended to me however, after suffering for over 15 years with huge turbinates that completely blocked my nasal breathing, I decided not to research a turbinate reduction and just go for it! I am so glad I did! After reading your post, I would not have gone ahead with the surgery. My surgery was just 2 days ago, It was performed in a hospital using sound waves technique. I was completely sedated and it took less than 10 minutes although the entire ordeal was about 3 hours which included paperwork, IV, talking to Drs etc, There was no packing, no bone removal, very little bleeding onto a little strip of gauze held under my nose. The light spotty bleeding stopped less than 24 hrs later . The first 18 hours was rough because of the anesthesia, I had nausea and severe stomach upset. The first night was rough because I had to sleep sitting up and couldn't breath through my nose because of the gauze drip held under my nostrils. I've had some facial pain, think of the worst sinus face ache you've ever had...but only on one side. The best part is the second night, for the first time in over 15 years, I could breathe through my nose. By the 2nd day, I have very little discomfort, no swelling that I can see, no bleeding, and can breathe through my nose!

Im 4 days post op and I feel great! I did not have alot of pain, even when I woke up after the surgery. I had my turbinates cautaurized and a septoplasty. I had the packing removed the day after, which was only on one side, it felt a bit weird but not painful. I had some bloody nasal drip in the following days, now its crusty as its hardened because Im scared to clean it off, and rub too hard. So I will wait untill I see the doctor again. As for swelling, its also minimal, I put a cold compress on for a few minutes about once a day, Im taking antibiotics, and resting alot.

So what happens if the nasal swells straight back up like mine did?

katz wrote:

:-D

i would love to hear how you get on!
good luck

Dear Katz

your posted helped me so much...but scared me a bit too :P...had a DNS 7 odd years back but it didnt really went that good..This time i have recommended with turbinoplasty ,hope this does work for me too.

Also can u guys tell me about how many days they keep u admitted? and food precautions/experiences on the same pre and post surgery...
have to undergo the same on 7th sep ..2012

Dear Aamir Shafiq

I am really confused that should I go for this surgery or not..... :-(
Plz share your experience that how are you feeling now..!!!

Hope your experience could help me out....!!

Dear Friend

Please could you tell me the name of this treatment...!!!!
I would really be oblidged.....!!!!

I am so sorry you went through this ordeal. I must have been lucky to have such a great surgeon! My experience was the complete opposite of yours . It was the best thing I have ever done ( medically speaking) with zero problems, no packing, very little bleeding, and no pain after the 2nd day of the surgery . There is NO dryness , no burning and the best part is I can BREATH ! My ENT was the best! He told me is was a quick and simple procedure and it was .