Hello, I am 59 years old and it looks like I am suffering from congestive heart failure. I have to do some additional tests to determine the exact form of my condition and after that the therapy will be determined. So, I would like to know – can diuretic therapy relieve me of my congestive symptoms?

It can deal with your symptoms, but I guess that is only if you suffer from certain type of congestive heart failure and that we will not know until those additional tests are done. And that kind of therapy is most benign, but you will have to wait a bit more to see if that is a treatment for you.

Yes, diuretics can help, depending on the severity and extent of your congestive heart failure.

Patients who experience swelling in the feet, ankles, legs, and abdomen may be given diuretics. Diuretics stimulate the kidneys to increase urine production and remove sodium and water from the body. Reducing fluid retention also helps relieve shortness of breath. However, patients taking diuretics may also need to take a potassium supplement because the body loses large amounts of that mineral due to frequent urination. A diuretic called spironolactone has been shown to have the added benefit of preserving the body's potassium levels. Patients with severe heart failure and lowered kidney function may need to be hospitalized and given diuretics intravenously until their condition is stable. Patients with pulmonary edema are hospitalized and given high concentrations of oxygen through a face mask or a tube inserted through the windpipe (trachea). A number of medications, including diuretics and vasodilators, can help remove fluids from the lungs and improve heart function.