Hi, I need to collect more information on chronic lymphocytic leukemia. I heard recently that a friend of mine is affected by it.

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia is a cancer of the white blood cells, called lymphocytes. It is a slow progressive disease with increased number of these cells in the blood, due to over production in the bone marrow. Immunosuppression arises due to failure of the bone marrow to produce normal cells, and invasion of malignant cells into organs. Symptoms are enlarged lymph nodes, liver, or spleen, fatigue, excessive sweating, night sweats, loss of appetite and weight loss. Symptoms develop gradually, and this condition has low incidence, in Asia it is completely uncommon.

Hi there,
As much as I know chronic lymphocytic leukemia is a type of cancer that attacks blood and bone marrow. How old is your friend? I know that this condition mainly affects older adults. I know that there are also treatments that can control this disease. Can you tell me more about his condition? In early stages of the disease there is no need for treatment, but later you can benefit from chemotherapy or from bone marrow stem cell transplant. There is also drug therapy that your friend might benefit from. He needs to consult his doctor about the best treatment option for his condition. I hope this helped in any way.

All the best,
Danella