My father is 63 years old and I am sorry to say that he suffers from CLL. He was just diagnosed with that disease and I have to admit that we are all still surprised with the news. And also, I find hard to believe that at the moment, he is not taking any medication, doctors say that he does not need that at the moment. Anyway, can exposure to certain chemicals be related to chronic lymphocytic leukemia? I would just like to know how he got it.

CLL – chronic lymphocytic leukemia usually affects people over 50 years and usually, men are much more affected than women. And I guess you are also interested in survival rate. I have to point out that it is highly individual and the numbers go from 5 to 25. As for the therapy, if there are no clear symptoms, that means that illness did not progress, so there is basically nothing to cure and deal with. And that is why there is no treatment at the moment and you should prey that it stays like that as much time as possible. As for the cause of it, CLL attacks so called B cells, located in bone marrow. The DNA is damaged and cannot fight various infections, which leads to its abnormal growth and mutation (this might be caused by exposure, but it is not necessary).

My husband is 71 yrs. and was diagnosed with CLL 1 1/2 yrs. ago. He sees a specialist every 3 mon. and each month his white count declined. Then 6 mons. after extreme stress the count spiked and stayed that way again the next 3 mons. He sees his specialist next month. What are our concerns if the count is still up and can stress play a part in the disease? He is having sweats and very fatigued right now.