Hello, I am 45 years old and first symptoms of my illness (chronic myeloid leukemia) I started to feel were weakness and tiredness. I sweat a lot during night and first changes I felt was increased spleen. Genetic control determined that I have so called Philadelphia chromosome, typical for this illness. All I need to know is – can chronic myeloid leukemia be cured?

There are several types of treating this condition. In chronic phase, monitoring of abnormal cells has to be constant. Transplantation of bone marrow cells will improve the patient’s status. I think that for now it is still early to talk about the prognosis. I guess you will have to wait and see how your body responses to the therapy.

Hi there,
Chronic myelogenous leukemia, also known as CML is very uncommon type of cancer of the blood cells. How long have you been having this problem? Can you tell me more about your symptoms? What did your doctor say about this condition? Did he mentioned any treatment methods? I think that main aim of the treatment is to remove the cancerous blood cells. I think that this can be treated with drugs that target the protein produced by BCR-ABL gene. You may also have blood stem cell transplant in order to treat this condition of yours. Some doctors will suggest chemotherapy as well in order to prevent the growth of the cancerous cells.

Best wishes,
Marco