Hi, folks. My neighbor’s kid has been diagnosed with leukemia. I am not sure about the details, since I don’t know what to ask. I feel little embarrassed to ask. Can anyone tell me about the life expectancy for this type of the disease? I know that this is extremely serious. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. I am sorry to hear that. Leukemia is the cancer of white blood cells. You have four types of leukemia. Those would be acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Life expectancy depends on these four types. Other factors can also affect prognosis. Those would be general health, age, provided treatment, etc. In the 1960’s 5 year survival rate was 14%. Nowadays it is 50%. Younger patients have better prognosis. I hope this helps.