My great-grandpa died of Leukemia in 1983 at the age of 64. I was never told what caused the leukemia or what type of leukemia it was, but I'm wondering, am I at risk of developing leukemia?

There are many types of leukemia, some of which are most common in children while others affect only adults. In most cases, except in rare ones where there is positive evidence of what might be the cause – like when someone was exposed to radiation, for example, causes of leukemia remain unknown. It seems to develop because of combination of factors and although genetics could have some part among these causes it’s not a straightforward. Some people who had someone in the family sick from leukemia may develop it, but great number of people who are diagnosed with leukemia don’t have any of the risk factors, like family history of sickness.