I have a friend from University who has certain mental disorder. She is 21 years old and her diagnosis is Borderline Personality Disorder. Sometimes she is totally ok and we are spending great time together and suddenly she changes her behavior without any reason. I would like to know what causes Borderline Personality Disorder?

Although the cause of BPD is unknown, we can tell that usually a combination of genetics, environmental factors and brain abnormalities results in borderline personality disorder. Researchers believe that BPD results from a combination of individual vulnerability to environmental stress, neglect or abuse as young children, and a series of events that trigger the onset of the disorder as young adults.

No one knows 100% for sure what causes BPD but in most cases its a traumatic childhood, it can also be biological though that's nowhere near as common. I have BPD myself, I do the exact same thing my mood snaps for no reason, for some people there are triggers that will send them wild, other times it just happens and we don't even know why. We're very hard people to be around sometimes, I've lost alot of friends and family because of it, I hope you can see through the bad for the good because it is still there, just very hidden sometimes :-)
I'm posting this ages after you've posted so I don't even know if you'll get this but if you need more advice just ask, I know more about it than any book :-P