Good day good people. Lately, I can hear a lot about this aortic dissection. I assume that it is very dangerous, but I don't know in which way it is dangerous. I assume that everything that has to do something with the heart is dangerous. Now, I want you to help me and tell me about risk factors for aortic dissection. What are info that a potential patient needs to know about this? What is the biggest problem in this case? Also, it is very important for me to know what are the best prevention options in this case? 

Hi there. It can be very risky if you leave it untreated. So, it really requires the treatment, it needs to be treated. There are so many risk factors and because of it there are a lot of ways to prevent it. For example, answer me at one question – do you know anyone with this disease? If you do, you need to tell me is this person a smoker? If it is – well, it is time to stop. Smoking is the main risk factor for aortic dissection and in this case the most important thing is to stop smoking. It can seriously affect your health.

Are you scared that you can get it? Let me know this…Also, I want to know did you have any symptoms? Because in this case you should call your doctor. The exact cause of this is unknown but there are some common risk factors that include: aging, blunt trauma to the chest, very high blood pressure, bicuspid aortic valve, heart surgery or some other heart procedures, pregnancy, swelling of the blood vessels,etc. Those are possible risk factors and it usually affects men at age 40 to 70. But I don’t think that there is some prevention option, because the cause is unknown.

Hello. I don’t believe that you can prevent aortic dissection, but I am sure that you can prevent some serious problems when you are having problems with it. You need to control blood pressure all the time. If you have high blood pressure, get a home blood pressure measuring device to help you monitor your blood pressure. Also, you should not smoke. Try to maintain an ideal weight. Follow a low - salt diet program. Eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, etc. If you have a family history of aortic dissection, a connective tissue disorder or a bicuspid aortic valve, tell your doctor. Actually, tell him all about those diseases that your family had.

Hi there people. It definitely can be fatal.

Aortic dissection can be easily missed and that is the main concern of all doctors. A high index of suspicion is important in patients who have predisposing risk factors. Classification of this issue is based on the location of dissection and its duration. There are two different types of it - Stanford type A dissections require surgery, while type B dissections may be managed non-surgically under most conditions. Chances of survival are improved now, your doctor know what he is doing, it is improved with prompt diagnosis, blood pressure and heart rate control, and early surgical repair if indicated.