Hello there guys. So lately I have been done some researching about anxiety because whenever I think that I do know something about this, someone just appears telling me that I am totally wrong and that there are so many other things that I should learn, in this case about anxiety. My good friend told me that he was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. Now, I do know some things about this, but not a lot. I don't know anything about causes. So I was wondering can you tell me what are the most common causes of generalized anxiety disorder?

Hey Rafferty,

I don't know, there are bunch of things which can be the cause of generalized anxiety disorder (or GAD). 

Family history of anxiety can contribute to person developing anxiety. Recent or prolonged exposure to stressful situations, including personal or family illnesses, traumas and similar stuff as well. Excessive use of caffeine or tobacco (which can make existing anxiety worse) are sometimes responsible for GAD. Being the victim of childhood abuse will most likely cause a person to get generalized anxiety disorder.

They say that women are a lot more prone to developing GAD than man are, they are twice as prone.

This is one of those conditions which depend a lot on your family. If someone in your family had generalized anxiety disorder in their life, there are odds that you are going to have it as well.

I believe that the biggest thing that can cause generalized anxiety disorder in someone is some sort of trauma from their childhood. I have a friend who had some trouble with his father when he was little, he started seeing a psychologist after he left his father's house and it turned out that he had generalized anxiety disorder caused by his bad relation with his dad.

I find it quite sad that generalized anxiety disorder has a lot to do with your family's health. It is sad to know that if one of your parents or grandparents is suffering from generalized anxiety disorder, you get to be prone to having this disorder from the day you were born.

Other than this, the causes are usually some big traumas, something that can get you down mentally. Maybe death of someone you loved, something that can make you extremely sad or extremely scared. Anxiety is hard, I wouldn't want this for anyone, mental problems are the worst of them all.

Hello there everyone. I hope that you are doing fine. I know that there are a couple of causes of Generalized anxiety disorder. But I am sure for one. And that is something that we cannot avoid - genetics. According to some research suggests that family history plays a part in increasing the likelihood that a person will develop GAD. This means that the tendency to develop generalized anxiety disorder may be passed on in families.And I am almost one hundred percent sure that this is true. I have heard that environmental factors can cause it as well but I don't know any sample.  

Hi. Of course that environmental factors can cause it. For example, those factors can be trauma and stressful events, such as abuse, the death of someone that you really loved in your life, possible divorce, changing jobs, school, environment where you were living, etc. Generalized anxiety disorder also may become worse during periods of stress that you have in your life. The use of and withdrawal from addictive substances, including alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine, can also worsen anxiety so think about quitting it.

Hi people!

The worse thing, if I can say is that women are twice as likely to experience generalized anxiety disorder than men. So there is no surprise because women are suffering more. Anyway, like you already know there are so many causes of it and I was reading a lot about it. For example, causes and factors can be:

• a family history of anxiety - if someone in your family already was diagnosed with anxiety,
  • recent or prolonged exposure to stressful situations (no matter what stressful situations are),
  • excessive use of caffeine or tobacco - tobacco is worse
  • being the victim of childhood abuse.

That all can cause it!

I had a friend whose entire family died in a car accident when he was 16. They were all heading for a trip and he couldn't take it because he had some obligations. They crashed into another car and they all died, his father, his mother, and his two sisters. This is what caused him to develop generalized anxiety disorder. 

Traumas are probably the biggest and worst cause of generalized anxiety disorder. But like others said already, if someone from your close family had this, then you are most likely to be prone to having it as well, it is all connected.