Hi friends! My best friend Calina went to Australia because she was diagnosed with cardiomegaly. If I am not wrong, this is an enlarged heart, right? Well, she told me that she is probably dealing with this for a long time, but she discovered it three days ago. I don't know why she is going to Australia, because I do believe that we have amazing surgeons and doctors here, in Miami, but I think that she has some cardiologist there and she trusts him. Now, to cut long story short, my main concern is what are the risk factors of cardiomegaly? And how does this issue manifests, what are the symptoms because I just can't believe that she didn't have any symptoms at all. 

Hello La Yl La,

Yes, you are right. She is dealing with enlarged heart. I am sure that she went to Australia because she trust this doctor the most, and that is very important. It is possible that she didn’t have any symptoms. In some patients enlarged heart causes no signs or symptoms, while others can have some symptoms such as: shortness of breath, arrhythmia, and swelling. It can be dangerous, like every other issue, but it is more dangerous if you are dealing with high blood pressure, valvular heart disease, if you had heart attack before, if you have someone in your family who was diagnosed with certain heart disease. Those all are possible risk factors.

Hello there,

There are no other risk factors of cardiomegaly except for other conditions which can affect your health. These include high blood pressure, a family history of enlarged hearts or cardiomyopathy, blocked arteries in your heart (coronary artery disease), congenital heart disease, valvular heart disease, and a heart attack.

An enlarged heart is easier to treat when it's detected early, so talking to your doctor if you have concerns about your heart is a must do thing. Person should seek emergency medical care if he or she has any of these signs and symptoms, which may mean that they are having a heart attack: chest pain, severe shortness of breath, or fainting.

Hi everyone,

Seems like stress can be one of the causes of cardiomegaly. My uncle was working for this company, he was working very hard and he didn't receive two of his month paychecks so he was really stressed out about that (he has two kids, so it was giving him a hard time). It got so bad that he was eventually diagnosed with cardiomegaly, and the cause of it was stress. 

His doctor gave him some medications to take and he told him that he needs to avoid getting stressed out as much as he can. These medications helped him and now he is okay.

That is good for him, Junior, there are people out there who didn't manage to treat this with medications so they had to undergo surgery. For a certain type of enlarged heart (dilated cardiomyopathy), a pacemaker that coordinates the contractions between the left and right ventricle may be necessary. In people who may be at risk of serious arrhythmias, drug therapy or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) may be an option. Some people require heart valve surgery, some require coronary bypass surgery while others might need a heart transplant, although these cases are the ones that are the rarest. There is also this device called left ventricular assist device (LVAD).

Hello there. I understand you completely, but still it seems a little bit unreal to me that she didn't have any type of symptoms at all. That was a little bit weird to me. Generally, she is feeling fine. She called me today and she told me that she is in Australia and that she just had some troubles while she was breathing today, but that this is all. Doctor didn't told her any risk factors, so she is worried about this. What type of the treatment she can get for this issue? Is surgery one of the options or not? 

Yes, there is a possibility that she didn’t have any symptoms and that she started to have some symptoms right now. I just can’t believe that her doctor haven't told her about any risk factors, because he should. She needs to know. Blocked arteries in your heart  or coronary artery disease are also a huge risk factors. With this condition, fatty plaques in your heart arteries obstruct blood flow through your heart vessels, which can lead to a heart attack. When a section of heart muscle dies, your heart has to pump harder to get adequate blood to the rest of your body, causing it to enlarge.