Hey guys.

So my niece is having paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. She is just 20 years old and she is crushed because of it. I don’t even want to talk about her parents. They are feeling horrible because of it. Doctor told them that this is not the end of the world and that this diagnose can easily be treated. But, they are skeptical about it. I understand them since their child is having those issues. I am wondering are there any risk factors for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation? Do you have any experiences with it? Can it be very dangerous? Thank you...

Hey there Aurora. I understand your concern.

This is not something that is easy, it is not a condition that you should not be worried about. The risk factors can be very dangerous and I am really surprised because his doctor told them that they don’t need to be worried about. Strokes are a huge concern when someone is having atrial flutter. It is usually not life – threatening if it is properly treated.

Certain factors may increase risk of it, and those factors are age, heart disease, very high blood pressure and some other chronic condition. Obesity and drinking alcohol are also the risk factors.

It is very serious condition.

Especially because she is very young and atrial fibrillation is the most common arrhythmia that affects more than 4 percent of the population over the age of 60.

I am very sorry to hear when someone young like your niece is having problems with it.

Especially because it can be very dangerous. Stroke is very common risk. Also, the risk of PAF progressing to permanent AF can increase with a time and this progression is more likely with increasing age or in patient’s history of the diseases.

It is very important to find a proper therapy for her.

Good day everyone. She is very young to have this diagnose. Older people are usually affected with this. Pardon me for asking you this question, but are you sure that she got a proper diagnosis? Maybe you should ask some other doctor's opinion? It is surprising to me. Anyway, it is quite dangerous and there are so many risk factors that usually increases when the patient is getting older. It is also very risky because atrial fibrillation has very strong associations with other cardiovascular diseases such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease and hypertension. It is characterized with very strong and fast heartbeats.

Hey everyone,

It is indeed true that this always happens to elderly people but there are always some exceptions so it is possible, extremely rare, but possible.

Certain factors may increase your risk of developing atrial fibrillation, and these include:

- Age, the older you are, the greater your risk of developing atrial fibrillation.

- Heart disease

- High blood pressure

- Other chronic conditions

- Drinking alcohol. For some people, drinking alcohol can trigger an episode of atrial fibrillation.  

- Obesity, people who are obese are at higher risk of developing atrial fibrillation.

- Family history, an increased risk of atrial fibrillation is present in some families.

Hey Aurora,

It is true, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is almost always caused by something even more dangerous than this condition itself. It is a rather unusual case for this to happen to such a young girl. I don't want to sound like i don't trust in your doctor's diagnosis but it would be smart to look for someone else's opinion as well.

This often happens if someone in her family had a medical history of hearth issues. It would be better if this is the case, you should ask your close family about this if you don't already know it, because it would remove other dangerous stuff from being possible causes.

Hi everyone,

I don't think that this is an unusual case like you said it, Stradivarius, I honestly think that this is just a wrong diagnosis. I don't care if you think that I'm insulting this doctor or anything, but your niece's health is in question and you need to take her to another doctor, she couldn't possibly have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

Age is the most important risk factor here. This condition almost always occurs in people who are above 60 years old and never in people who are bellow 45. I hope you understand now what I am trying to tell you about your niece's diagnosis.

Hi everyone,

Don't be so harsh, Adria. I'm thinking the exact same thing about this girl's diagnosis but there is another way of expressing yourself.

It is indeed true that this condition only applies for older people so your niece couldn't possibly have it, Aurora. Seek another opinion.

The main risk of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation comes from heart diseases such as heart valve problems, congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, or a history of heart attack or heart surgery. The other things that Alan already wrote above play a minor role when it comes to risk factors for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.