Hi, I just talked to a friend. He told me he knows a guy that has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. After some explanations, I concluded that this is a very serious condition. To tell you the truth, I am a bit scared that I might get it. Can you tell me what the risk factors that can lead to rheumatoid arthritis are?

Hi, rheumatoid arthritis has an unknown cause. It is an autoimmune disease. This means that our immune system is triggered to act against some tissue in our organism as if it were a threat. As a result, an inflammation occurs that produces pain. Rheumatoid arthritis causes the inflammation of joint tissue. However, there are some things that are thought to be risk factors that can lead to rheumatoid arthritis. Genetics-some immune system related genes are thought to have an influence on the creation of rheumatoid arthritis. But, some people that have this condition do not have these specific genes and some people that have these genes do not develop the illness. This means that some more conditions are needed for creation of rheumatoid arthritis. Environmental factors-there are scientists that believe that it takes some outdoor factors for this illness to occur. Such are bacteria and viruses. Other factors include hormonal changes. Nutrition is also important. If you take large quantities of caffeine and protein and low quantities of vitamin C, you are at risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis. Finally, women are more affected by this illness than men.