Good day. My friend's mom was diagnosed with OCD. She is 62 years old and I can see that my friend is extremely worried about this. Her mom is out of herself because she believes that this is the end of the world. I tried to calm them down, but nothing was working in this case.

So, I have tried to read a little bit about this, but I haven't found out those things that I wanted to know. I really hope that you can help me. What are the risk factors of OCD among adults and how to overcome it?

Good day. I hope that you are doing fine. It is wonderful because you are trying to help your friend. It is amazing! I think that risk is much bigger when OCD is diagnosed among adults.It is also more serious when it happens to ladies. With the exception of OCD, I find out that women have twice the risk for most anxiety disorders as men. And there are so many factors that can increase the A number of factors may the reported risk in women. Ages are one of those factors. For how long she has been diagnosed with it? Has she went to see more experts, just to be sure about the diagnosis? That is also very important, if you ask me.

As far as I know, she was diagnosed with this two moths ago. Yes, she went to see two different experts and they told her exactly the same thing. It is weird to us because she was always healthy and my friend told me that she noticed that she is acting really weird whenever she goes to visit her. She is also scared because she believes that this will affect her more because she is older one. She is kind of stressed lately and my friend is scared. I understand her. But generally she did have stressful life so I believe that this could be one of the causes. 

Oh, so that is the problem. She had stressful life. That is really one of the most common risk factors, you are right. But she needs to start with the treatment. You should tell your friend that this should not be left untreated because it can make really serious problems. There are a couple of treatments, but one of the best is cognitive behavioral therapy. It is very effective method of treating this issue and generally CBT is one of the types of psychotherapy that has an aim to help the patient change the way they think, feel, etc. I found some research where it says that this therapy actually helped more than 75 % of the patients.

I don't think that anything could cause you to develop this kind of disorder. I mean, some people are more prone to it because of their genetics, so you are either at great danger of suffering from this disorder from the very moment you are born or you are not in danger at all.

On the other hand, I read somewhere that the environment that you are in can cause you to suffer from OCD but there was not really enough research done about this so this is not for sure. I do, however, think that this is quite possible to be true.

It is all about genetics here. My grandfather was suffering from OCD and my dad wasn't, so my dad was really worried that I might be suffering from this disorder as well but luckily for me, I turned out to be just fine.

My granddad was always using some pills that his doctor prescribed him for OCD. Actually, he was using two different kinds of medications, both for OCD. He was visiting his psychologist for a short period of time until he decided that this wasn't doing him any good and he stopped going there. He never really got much better.

The exact cause of OCD is unknown even today, scientists think that OCD runs in families and that there are some environmental factors which could contribute to the development of OCD. People who are suffering from OCD are also more prone to developing anxiety and major depression so it is one of those conditions to be careful when dealing with.

Treatment usually includes psychotherapy, behavioral modification therapy, or psychiatric medications, alone or in combination, but only 10% of people suffering from OCD completely recover from it, while 50% of them show some improvement. These numbers are not that good but it is as it is.

It's true, my Grandma had OCD and when I asked my parents what caused this, they told me that there is cause nor a treatment for this and that it basically runs in families, so that I might, some day, suffer from this disorder as well, I have to admit that they scared me when they told me this, I was still just a kid back then.

This is why I don't really think that there are any risk factors of OCD among adults or children, because it simply runs in families and nothing beside of that could contribute to the development of this disorder.