I have juste received the results of my CAT Scan without contrast and it states that I have a posterior fossa arachnoid cyst in my brain. Is this fatal? Can it lead to Cancer?Can this be the cause of my headaches, light headness, and dizziness? I do not have seizures. Also, 10 years ago I had a CAT scan done and it did not reflect on the test? What could of caused it?

My mother has had one of these for at least 40 years. The only problem that it causes her is facial pain from pressure on the trigeminal nerve. I have read up on these a bit and found that most people do not have any symptoms, but those that do, are prone to headaches. She just had another MRI (her last was 10 years ago) and it has grown a little, so she is going to see a neurosurgeon. Medication has been used over the years to take care of the nerve pain.

Hope this helps!

Does anyone have any personal experience with this? I was just diagnosed due to demanding an MRI (many head throbs, some forgetfulness). It is 1 inch. I'd appreicate feedback about your experience if you have had this!

hi,

im new to this forum but i have been diagnosed with a dermoid cyst with much the same symptoms as you are describing, headaches, dizziness, forgetfullness mine uis about 2cm round cant be operated on if you would like to talk more u can catch me on msn messenger

**edited by moderator**

My 17 yo daughter has been having headaches on and off for the last 5 months. In the last month or so they increased to daily and also with exertion such as walking up steps. I took her for an MRI which showed a cyst. From what I have read the cyst could be incidental to the headaches. I don't have the full report but the Pedi described it as "small". I am hoping for th best that we can control the headaches and watch the cyst for growth and expecting the worst that she will have to have suregry. We live in NJ and the wait time for a neuro in NYC or Philly is at least 3 weeks....frustrating

i know how your daughter feels i get headchaches queit often it seems to be brought on by stress something which i commonly have.it feels like ive been drinking somedays i wake up ,also affects my mood and attention span i was supposedly born with this conditon but never really had any symptoms till age 28

My 7 month old daughter was being monitored for rapid head circumference growth..an MRI revealed a large posterior fossa arachnoid cyst on her cerebellum. She had emergency surgery to fenestrate (drain). As a result of the cyst she has developed hydrocephalus and needed a shunt placed 10 days post op.
She never had ANY symptoms of the cyst other than the head growth, nor does she suffer from any symptoms of hydrocephalus as of now (knock on wood!).
She has met, and continues to meet, all her developmental milestones in both cognitive and gross/fine motor skills.

An arachnoid cyst is not the end of the world...she still has some of the cyst (they were not able to remove it all without damaging tissue).

my 12 year old brother has just started having headaches and we took him to the doctor and they diagnosed him with posterior fossa arachnoid cyst does he have to have surgery and where do we go from here if you have any information can u plz email me at _[removed]_ i would be greatly appreciated and thanks alot

I found out that I had mine right before i was to go back to iraq and second time.

for me it give me headaches to the point that they only thing the helps is 2400 mg of motrian. Plus i have hearing loss in the left ear where my cyst is located. Mine I was told is small and it goes from the top of my spine to my left ear and is about an inch thick and 2 inches high.

Just found out I have an arachnoid cyst in the fourth ventricle in my brain. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this. It is close to 3 cm big. Has anyone had one of these for a long time?? What did you do? Surgery, nothing at all??

I have lightheadedness, vertigo - sometimes, numbness of my left side and a hard time using my left hand.

I think that it depends on your symptoms. It sounds to me like your symptoms are fairly basic to cope with for now although they could get worse with time at which point I'd recommend seeing a doctor about your situation. At that point they can talk to you about surgery and other options at that point. Keep us posted on what happens.

I have a posterior fossa arachnoid cyst. I found out about it when I was 15. They said that I have probably had it for my whole life. I am now 26. My symptoms are getting worse. I got a new MRI and found out that it has increased from 7.5cm to 8.1cm. The other two dimensions are the same. The last time a talked to a neurosurgeon (5 years ago) they said that they wouldn't do surgery unless it got bigger. Is there any new procedures/surgeries that any of you know about? Thanks for your time.

I've got one; will possible be remove/drain in a couple of days. The cyst it self isn't dangrous exept in the pressure
it can put on the brain.
Brain surgey is very safe these days.

arachnoid cyst is not really something to worry about but should be check anually. it stays normal in size. it does cause frequent headaches, but does not lead to cancer. im a medschool student i know what i am talking about. but it can lead to hydrocephalece, meaning to much water around the brain. surgery is a possiblity which they use a shunt. it normally doesnt show in children and developes as adolesence. but it does not lead to cancer!

Hi there, I was not aware that it would lead to hydrocephaly, so I do appreciate the feedback. Are there any other potential complications to know about? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!