Hello! I have just come back from my surgery. My doctor prescribed 20mg codeine in combination with 900mg paracetamol per day. I feel very good and almost feel no pain at all. I hope to be back to my regular activities in a week. But, I haven’t asked do I need to taper this codeine and paracetamol combination by myself.

Hi! It is good when you feel so well after the surgery. Combination of codeine and paracetamol is usually used in post operative treatment of pain since this works much better then paracetamol alone. Regarding the dosage of medicines given to you after discharge I think you should talk to your doctor. Actually, it is perfectly normal to lower the dosage when the pain is lower but I don’t think you should do it alone. It is always important to consult your doctor first. All the best to you!