I don't really know how to start this post as I haven't actually given up taking codeine just yet but I do have a date. I'm planning on taking my last tablets before bed on 07/01/10 just a scary 3 days from now! Hoping that the worst of the withdrawal will happen over the weekend. God this is going to be one hell of a New Years detox!

Anyway I guess I should give a bit of information about me. I'm 22 and was given co-codamol 30/500 for diabetic nuropathy when I was 14 by my GP who didn't even take the time to actually see me. My mum phoned the surgery as I was having excruciating leg pains at night and the said GP just wrote a repeat prescription for 100 30/500 co-codamol tablets. If I knew then what I know now I would never have taken those tablets. After serveral months of taking these tablets one day I just stopped having no idea they were addictive or that they would cause withdrawal symptoms. After about 24-48 hours - I can't really remember the time line exactly - I started to get stomach cramps and felt so bloated I thought my stomach might actually explode. Soon after the cramps and bloating started I was violently sick. And the cramps became even worse. Having no idea what was wrong with me and of course panicing about my diabetes my mum phoned for an ambulance and I was rushed in to hospital. In the end the doctors put my "illness" down to either the winter vomiting bug or some kind of gastro bug. Oh yes and why I was in hospital they gave me metoclopramide for the nausea and vomiting intravenously and pretty soon after it was injected it became pretty clear that I was having an allergic reaction to it. Anyway that's another matter. I was thankfully discharged on the same day thanks to a quick acting doctor. But it was sometime before I started to feel well again. The thing I remember most was having a stabbing pain in the back and side of my neck for a about a week to 10 days and I couldn't eat anything except rice for over a week after the vomiting had stopped.
It must have been not untill another year or two that it started to dawn on me that what I went through was probably withdrawal and by this point I had started taking co-codamol again.

I am sick to death of taking these tablets and hate the way it makes me feel when I have to sneek out of a room or out of the office to get my "fix" and have decided that the nuropathy pain is better than being addicted to something that I'm sure must be damaging my health. The one tiny shread of hope that's pushing me forward at the moment is knowing that campylobacter food poisoning -which I had last year and was in hospital for over a week with - was much more painfull than the withdrawal I think I went through before. But then again I have been addicted for a lot longer this time and am dreading what its going to do to me.

Sorry I feel like I keep going off track! I've never done this sort of thing before and really don't no what I should put LOL. But I wanted to do this post as I think it will help me over the next few days and weeks. I will keep posting or try to keep posting throughout my withdrawal. I hope that it will help someone as much as other peoples post's and blogs on codeine withdrawal have helped me in the build up to mine.

It would be really good to here other peoples experiences with codeine withdrawal.

Wish me luck!

I will probably post again on Friday, my first day without any codeine! Is it strange that as well as being petrified I am also really looking forward to it??

Hi there

Well, I can totally relate to your current situation, as I too am cold turkeying (I took my last lot of codeine at 8 am yesterday morning, so I've done a day and a half so far). Also your comment about sneaking out of the office to get your 'fix' resonated with me.

This will, however, probably be my 10th cold turkey. I'm 35 and have a 5 year codeine addiction and have been trying to beat it (unsuccessfully obviously) for the last 2 years. Tapering doesn't work for me - I don't have the willpower to ditch the final two tablets, I convince myself I'm ok because then I'm taking them within prescribed amounts and then I start upping the amount not long after that. Cold turkey always works in the short term (in terms of just getting codeine free), but I'm terrible at maintenance. The longest I've gone codeine free in the last 5 years is about 6 weeks. I convince myself I'm ok, in control and I can take them appropriately for so called legitimate reasons, which are really just excuses. I seem to have trouble in believing that I can never, ever go near codeine again. And, if I'm honest, that almost breaks my heart. I guess, for me, the key to my own success will be wholeheartedly believing the negatives about codeine far far far outweigh the benefits. This is what I need to concentrate on during cold turkey and the weeks after...

Anyway, you asked about cold turkey withdrawal experiences and what to expect.. I'm sure you're aware of the usual mild - severe flu like symptoms depending on how much you used to take and how long for: stomach cramps, leg and arm cramps, general all over body aches, pains, twinges, sweating, extreme temperature fluctuations, insomnia, excessive tiredness, lethargy, nausea, headaches, dehydration, irritibilitiy, anxiety, tearful, low mood, inability to concentrate. I personally also get a weird metallic taste in my mouth (to me, this is the taste of codeine withdrawal and is instantly recognisable!) and cystitis every time!

The thing about cold turkey (just my opinion) is that the fear of the symptoms it is often worse than the PHYSICAL experience. Don't get me wrong, it's totally vile. But then so is a bad dose of flu. I think it's the psychology around coming off of opiates that makes cold turkey so bad. You usually throw in a good measure of self pity, guilt, fear (cold turkey can be dangerous), etc. And it also doesn't help if you're trying to hide it from a loved one or work or you have responsibilities you can't get out of. That and the insomnia. That's the hardest physical thing for me to deal with.

Put it this way, if you knew you were going to have a nasty case of flu and D&V that knocked you off your feet for a few days, you'd just get on with it. You might feel somewhat sorry for yourself, but you'd cancel work and have a week on the sofa with a duvet, the remote control and a big box of Thorntons Continental. If you can and haven't already, I would recommend that you tell whoever you are living with the truth, or if you can't, tell them you've got flu. Take the week off work and just resign yourself to feeling terrible for a week. It will peak around day 2 - 5 and from then on you get what I call pockets of normalness (which feel fabulous when then happen and keep me going). I start to feel normal for a minute or two at first and then for a bit longer until by about day 10, I'm feeling as normal as I'm going to feel given the situation. By day 20, all the codeine should be out of your system and you should be feeling good, assuming you're not caning alcohol and you're looking after yourself. In some cases, people who have had a long history of opiate addition can get prolonged acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS), which are usually headaches, insomnia, reduced energy levels that can persist for a while.

Best of luck for tomorrow, I'll keep checking the post to see how you're getting on. Oh, just a thought, if you really want the worst of it to be over by the weekend, I'd suggest taking your last dose tonight or tomorrow morning. As it'll be Monday and Tuesday when it hits you worst if you leave it till Friday night. I always take my last dose before cold turkeying in the morning, not the night time. As the first day isn't too bad (as long as you're psyched for it) physically and by the time you've got up the next day, you're into day 2 already. Then you have to get through one more day and you're into day 3 (the worst day) and then there's no point in going back, as you're over halfway there. If that makes any sense at all... :-)

Take it easy.. :-)

kicking-codeine wrote:

Wish me luck!

kicking-codeine wrote:

Wish me luck!

I also am addicted to Codeine, it all started 11 years ago over a friends house, I told her I was feeling like I had flu so she gave me Solpadol 30/500, I decided to take 4 of these so I dissolved them in a glass, had a bath and about half an hour later walked into the kitchen where my friend was, I sat down and I felt totally relaxed and on top of the world. She had them on prescription from her doctor but never took any so she gave me a few boxes that she had in all innocence. When I had used all of the tablets I started to but Co-Codamol from the pharmacy but it was only 8/500 and I ended up taking 20 all in one go every day, my doctor never knew this but I told him I had back pain and he prescribed Zapain 30/500 for me on a repeat prescription monthly but I was taking around 10-12 of them per day so the 100 tablets only lasted me a few days then I would go back to the chemist and buy a large box of Neurofen+ tablets but more often I would buy 8/500 Co-Codamol and take around 20 per day until my next prescription and so this has gone on and on and on for 11 years and I dread to think what kind of damage I have done to my body. I really do not want to put these things into my body anymore but when I stop taking them I feel ill. I there anything I can do or a replacement, less harmful drug that I can take to wean myself off this addiction. Someone please help me :(

I have just read your post. I don't normally reply on any of these boards but I felt so like I know how you are feeling, and so sad for you that I really want to help. Like you I have been addicted on and off to codeine (and other prescription painkillers) for about 10 years. I have stopped SOOOO many times, always by going cold turkey, but the last time I discovered such a great and easy way to come off them that it has been a complete breeze.

This is my solution which COMPLETELY worked for me. Give it a go and give it a chance.

The paracetamol in those tablets are what will do damage to your body. It is really important to stop ASAP.

I stopped by using the OTC drug Immodium (generic name loperamide - usually taken for diarrhoea.

I took my last codeine tablet (was on about 24 30mg tabs a day) 10 days ago in the morning and 4 hours after, when I usually would take more I took 4 loperamide instead. I then took another 2 loperamide roughly every 6-8 hours after that for the next 7 days. On day 8 I took 2 loperamide in the morning and then stopped completely.

During this time I had VERY slight withdrawal symptoms but nothing like the HELL I have experienced before when giving up.

Good luck! It worked for me like a miracle.

Quote:

I Have just kicked codeine in a week, on about 25 x 15mg tabs a day. I was was prescribed Subutex 6MG per day, reduced to 4 mg day three until my final day 7. This kept the main withdrawal symptoms at bay and stops you craving. Because your only on the Subutex for a week you do not develop any dependency and it is easier to just stop taking. You will feel knackered for the first week and will still go through sweats but I found my cravings were zero, i had no RUNS or flu like symptoms, aches etc you normally get and I could actually get normal sleep patterns. I took the week of f work as you are not on the ball and I would recommend laying off driving whilst on the Subutex as with me it had quite a strong sedative effect, another tip iS to take normal anti hystamine which will aid sleep and stop you getting the itches. I went though a drugs councillor based at my GP who recommended this course of action. I HAVE TRIED TAPERING BUT DO NOT HAVE THE RESOLVE, I FIND THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME!!! yOU CAN DO SUBUTEX OVER A LONGER PERIOD AND TAPER OFF A LOT MORE SLOWLY BUT I WANTED IT OUT OF THE WAY QUICKLY!!!

Replying to everyone who wants to quit codeine but can't:

SMOKE WEED.

wayne3881 wrote:

kicking-codeine wrote:

Wish me luck!

have you never heard of cold water extraction a process which separates the codeine from whatever painkiller its mixed with?. by taking so much together you are doing irreversible damage to your liver. of course it would be better to give up your addiction but if you cant c.w.e is definitely a safer way to use codeine and very easy to do. research it on the internet theres loads of info

ive been taking codeine 3 weeks and only around 20 mg a night already i am suffering worsening of depression that i was handling ok i am on 2 mg of valium at night was sleeping ok since codeine cannot sleep at all i have no desire for food which is dangerous as ive taken so long to put weight back on due to losing appetite from side effect of another medication 5 years to feel like eating now down the drain again thanks to codeine please do not take it such a small does affected me this way suicidal thoughts as well talking to myself so there is some interaction there between codeine and valium

daggy, it sounds like your having a bad reaction / side effect from the meds you are taking, you should go back to your doctors and let them know as what you describe is unusual in taking codiene, but usual for coming off it for some people.
Im just starting cold turkey off thes horrible pills now - but i did a rapid reduction on them first over a week to get down to 4 a day, never slept much during that week and had minor WD symptons...im going cold turkey now....i bought some 5mg valium off a friend to help me through it so i should be over it within 4 - 5 days.
i reccomend this methodto anyone, fast reduction then cold turkey using valium...but i wont use valium for more than 4 days...its just to help sleep, cos even if you get a couple hours sleep per day, it will help you mentally and physically through withdrawal...sleep deprivation causes anxiety, restlesness and panic attacks, also confusion, despair...getting small portions of sleep will aid in keeping these less severe, valium or temazapam are ideal for this.
but, be carefull on the benzos as you dont want to be getting an addiction to them, 4-5 days is fine to use them...i take 10mg in moening and same in evening and it helps stave off the severity of withdrawals.

good luck to all you souls addresing this problem, you can beat it, stay strong and dont give in, the symptons are only short tem and are just your body returning to nomal.

Im anti drug but after knee surgery I was taking zapain every 6 hours.The effects it had in the first week were great.second week I uped my tablets due to them not having the same effect or so I thought and befor I knew it I was hooked.I relised once I started to sneak out the way from my partner just to take a few.I got the point of taking 30/300 4 tabs every couple of hours so it can happen to anyone.I wish everyone on here good luck and you can and will kick the habbit and f@&k the haters as everyone has a weakness but it doesent make you a bad person.

Hi
I know exactly what your going through,im going through the same thing.
I have been addicted for the good part of 3 years on and off , The withdrawal is hell , I felt tired , shakey , severe Stomach cramps ,nausea , dizzyness ,aching in every part of my body ,i had no energy what so ever , my sex drive vanished ,i couldnt sleep and that was just the first few days .

Codeine has taken over my life ,so if you can kick it then please do so.
I have set a date to go cold turkey and im really going to try this time without the doctor who just keeps prescribing codeine!!
It will be a long hard road to complete recovery and you will slip up and you you be at the probably the lowest point in your life , but you can do it .

This is definitely worth looking into. Either that or see if you can get the codeine in a form without paracetamol included (maybe you could tell your doc you take paracetamol before you reach for the codeine when in pain & are concerned about the double dosing). If that is not an option, perhaps getting codeine mixed with ibuprofen is better as it is less harmful to your liver (but tougher on your stomach). Please stop taking such high doses of paracetamol 20 x 500mg is 10,000mg per day, 2.5x the daily maximum (safe) dosage of paracetamol - it is much more dangerous health wise than codeine. Addiction is serious & requires a strong commitment to end (I know from experience) but codeine does nowhere near the damage paracetamol can do to your liver.
Cold water extraction will help tremendously if you cannot find medication without paracetamol (it is also used for medications mixed with ibuprofen, as it is also not healthy in large doses, but from what I've heard, ibuprofen is much less lethal than high doses of paracetamol can be).

The fear is completely normal. And WDs suck (I agree with others that the insomnia can be the worst of it, that and - for me at least - the pain in my legs) but I've never had severe symptoms past the first 5 days. For me, after day 3, I start to feel better & after day 5, I'm not 100%, but probably at 85% and that's enough to function. Once you pass the 2nd week, you will start feeling great. Part of that feeling is from not being chained to a pill anymore. Through the first year (I've made it about 8 months so far), there may be times when you have severe cravings & may even feel lethargic & a bit achy like you're going through withdrawal again. But these feelings pass. Just keep remembering how depressing it was to be addicted. Life is so much easier without drugs (though we may feel the opposite at times). You can do this.

Hi pls could you tell me where abouts your gp is pls