Hi, I would like to know how dangerous it is to mix codeine with alcohol. I am taking codeine for over a year. Lately I am going to the pubs to hang out with my friends. We like to chat, play cards and drink beer. I dont know how good idea is to mix codeine with alcohol. Any experiences?

My friend recently took a few codrals (codeine) drunk

she stopped breathing almost was rushed to hospital and has been in hospital for a week,

IT CAN KILL YOU!

dont do it

I took codeine and boozed it up before. I ended up fainting on a concrete floor and hitting my head. I had to go to the emergency room. It's a dangerous combination. Just don't do it.

First of all, you know your body better than anyone else, so if something doesn't feel right then seek help or don't do it again. Now to answer your question, it is only dangerous depending on the mixture you take versus your body weight and sex. A high dose of codeine should not be mixed with a high dose of alcohol, however a small amount of codeine is fine with alcohol (however you must still pace yourself as the effects are amplified). I have found that 120mg codeine and a shot of vodka is a comfortable feeling for me (170lbs male), although I wouldn't suggest drinking more than that. Also, some people are considered "ultra-fast metabolizers" of codeine (about 1% of caucasians, 25% of middle easterners, I forget the other demographics) and should probably not mess around to much with codeine/alcohol as it would be much easier to overdose. Hope this helps,
Naaldi

[Not to be construed as medical advice]
***edited by Moderator**

Like the person in this post has said everyone is different. Everyone reacts to medication differently.

IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED THAT ANYONE TAKES ANY MEDICATION AN ALCOHOL TOGETHER.

What Kinnaeus said is true. Some people are capable of taking large doses of codeine without passing out nor dying although that doesn't mean that it isn't doing any long term damage. Not long back i overdose on codeine having consumed roughtly 30/40units of alcohol (which alone isn't very clever), due to the fact i was drunk i can only estimate the over amount to have been roughtly 33/35 tables (30mg codeine phosphate/500mg paracetamol). Clocking up a seminly deadly 1g codeine/17g paracetamol. I weigh 182lbs and am 5' 9.5" tall and didn't suffer any serious problems. I wasn't hospitalised, i didn't see a doctor nor did i pass out. The main reason i have spent the time writting this is because of the post that the previous guest wrote. Mixing codeine up with alcohol just to get a buzz is stupid especially if your taking co-codamol because then your risking the chance of paracetamol overdose. Comments and suggestions like that really don't seem like a good idea to me.

[Not to be construed as medical advice nor is it advised that anyone take any medication with alcohol unless instructed it is safe to do so by their GP or a medical proffesional]

Codeine and alcohol are both depressants, and taking them together can go pretty badly pretty quickly. I know that some people were posting some pretty scary things on here--and it's true that you can have some adverse reactions. Chances are that taking codeine together with alcohol will make you intensely sleepy. It's best to not mix though--both codeine and alcohol interact with your liver, and you can cause damage. Best to play it safe! Are you still on codeine?

Uhm (I have a friend) been taking codiene when depressed and usually with coke and alcohol and always wake up feeling good. Dont think this is a good path but (My friend) do notice will jolt awake and take a breath then fall sleep again sometimes cause (my friend) stop breathing from it .

As others have noted,

I would not recommend the combination. I am dangerously stupid and thinking of doing it right now..

When I have been mildly drunk (maybe 4 beers) and had around 200mg of codeine + weed I have experienced respiratory and heart problems when retiring to bed, presumably several hours after the main effects of the codeine should have worn off. Symptoms included the need to actually consciously breath - on out-breath my automatic in-breath mechanism did not seem to work and my body would just be content to not inhale. Luckily I was awake and stayed up for several hours consciously inhaling until this effect dissipated. It obviously seemed very dangerous. It also felt like I was having heart palpitations at certain points that night and did not get to sleep until sunrise after going to be in the early morning. Luckily I did not sleep as I feel it likely I could have died.

I have recently been prescribed liquid codeine as a relief for my pain of my tonsils and usually only have to take it once a day until my surgery. I have a big party this weekend that I must attend to and normally end up drinking. Now I only weigh 115 and I'm 5'8, and wondering if i should risk it and drink. If anyone can give me some advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

we are talking pure codeine arnt we now people cos with paracetamol you are risking liver damage if not death. if you are going to do it filter the tablets though a coffee filter even a sock etc being that codeine is dissolved in water and paracetamol is not thus getting pure codeine still not advisable to mix alcohol and codeine tho as they are both depressants look up a cold water extraction on Google.

im worried because i drank some and took a codeine and now im dizzy with bad cramps

im on 6 shots a bowl and some codeine and im feeling great :-D

I do it just for the buzz, has ended my night a few times (after 9 beers and 300mgs of pure codiene) i just started to drift int my own world so i headed home

Depends on how much codeine you take. I take codeine from time to time. Usually i drink one or two beers. It doesnt add to the buzz for me. When i drink more than that, it just upsets my stomach. It's not advisable to do codeine and alcohol. Both of them suppres your nervous system, it can lead to serious problems (stop breathing for example) if you drink a beer on codeine, make sure you don't overdo it.

if you have done enough codeine and alcohol separtely and slowly started to combine them you will know what you can handle....if you are asking "will this kill me" you probably shouldn't be doing it as codeine and alcohol to the uninformed who usually have no tolerance could kill you.