My husband is having a very bad time ceasing Effexor XR.
Fish Oils are not helping him and everything that I am looking at online says that Effexor has "no withdrawal effects", which is BS. My husband cannot make up what is happening to his body.
How long will this last? I am 8 months pregnant and need his support, though I know at this crucial time, he needs mine as well.
Please advise.

This is what I found on the web for you.

If you haven't already found this, I hope it helps.

Effexor Withdrawal
Symptoms and Strategies

Be prepared for the effexor withdrawal symptoms by learning techniques and strategies for dealing with the pain.

Effexor withdrawal symptoms, along with paxil withdrawal symptoms, have truly set the standard for pain and suffering from an antidepressant.

As you continue to read, here's a few things to keep in mind about effexor withdrawal symptoms:

Severe withdrawal symptoms can develop from patients on any level of dosage, so if you're taking a low dose don't think you're necessarily safe.

Effexor withdrawal symptoms can easily last two months or more, and some people don't feel back to normal even after a year of discontinuation.

Because effexor has a 'half-life' of about five hours, withdrawal symptoms can develop from missing only one dose.

(The half-life refers to the amount of time it takes the body to metabolize one-half of the drug.) Five hours is a frighteningly short half-life for a drug of this nature. It almost guarantees problems.

One Harvard study found 78% of patients experienced withdrawal symptoms from discontinuing effexor xr making it the only drug worse than paxil in this regard.

So what's the 'official' word on withdrawal?

Wyeth-Ayerst, the manufacturer of effexor and effexor xr, did a survey of all the patients in the clinical trial's testing program. According to their method of counting, 35% of the Effexor patients experienced withdrawal symptoms ranging from a flu-like syndrome to insomnia, nausea, nervousness, and loss of energy.

Thanks for your help.
It's just a really rough time for us with his withdrawal effects (i.e. sweating, chills, dizziness, vertigo, rapid heartbeat, anxiety just to name a few). I just wish there was something more I could do for him.

This is such a terrible drug - Wyeth should not have made this available, nor should doctor's prescribe it. Initially when getting on the medication, his doctor said nothing about possible withdrawal effects from ceasing to take it anymore.

If we had known, he would have never taken it in the first place. :-(

My fiancee is 14 weeks pregnant. At 12 weeks her doctor prescribed Effexor, which he failed to explain could have the opposite affect on her. After a few days she noticed she was getting a panicky feeling and within a week had a full blown panic attack that lasted 2 days. She quit taking it cold-turkey and has had almost no sleep in the last 2 weeks. They gave her ambien to help her sleep, but that did nothing. She may get half an hour at a time, sometimes only that all night. Nobody seems to be able to do anything for her. How long would a week and a half (tops) of taking it stay in her system and is there anything we can do to help. We have tried Melatonin, fish oils, B complex and a host of other natural remedies. The doctors don't think it's the Effexor but all the symptoms are what I've been reading online