During my work day I had injury and hurt my back. The doctors told me I had a herniated disc and recommended me epidural injection. They said that will treat swelling, pain and inflammation I had. I wonder if anyone tried that to tell me how effective that is, and if there are some complications? What’s the procedure and does it hurt?

My problem was radiculopathy. I also had some of the symptoms you said here so doctors recommended me that epidural injection too. It’s true that epidural injections may be painful and produce uncertain results. It helps with short-term pain relief when conservative treatments have failed. Epidural injection is usually given by anesthesiologist, neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon or neurologist. They are all qualified to perform this procedure. They inject medication directly into the epidural space. We called that injection a cortisone shock. I’ve heard that 30% to 70% of people who received it benefited from it. Complications are rare, I didn’t have any. I think only a few patients experience side effects because I don’t know anyone who had problem with epidural injection.

I had the epidural injection about 2 and a half weeks ago and i dont find it to be one bit helpful. mine was performed by an anesthesiologist and he was very nice he kept making sure i was in NO pain at all. I am still in as much pain as i was b4 i went in if not more. I am not very happy with the results. i was scared to go in and hesitated a lot before going. then i decided to go cause i couldnt stand the pain anymore. I have DDD and my dr told me there was no reason to be in pain and that he didnt believe me. I have been dealing with this pain for almost 12 yrs now. I am 29 and they dont like to see young patients with back pain and if you complain of it they basically tell you that you're lying. So i have yet to find a dr who believes in me. However i did finally find the guy i am going to now and he is wonderful. He knows DDD is painful.
The procedure itself is NOT painful as long as you have a good dr. you will be numb for it. all i had was a numbing shot. nothing in my arm. and i watched it on the TV. i got to see how much i have Degenerated already. I have already at 29 lost 2 inches in my height. DDD is painful please dont let ANYONE tell you otherwise.

mlbitz wrote:

go to another dr. chronic pain is real and can lead to depression and even worse. I had surgery and it helped some. now I get spinal injections every 6 mo. They are AWESOME. Good luck,and let me know.