I am in my 70's and have just received my second epidural steroid injection.  Before the first injection, I could not stand for more than 5 minutes before the pain became excruciating down my left leg.  Pain pills did not help.   I had little relief after the first injection, but now, five days after the second injection, I am pain free for most of the time.  I do feel complete weakness in my legs and a general ache, but for the most part, I am very much improved.  I have read some of the bad experiences people have had with these injections and all the side effects they have endured.  However, I may be having a third injection in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had a success story to share.

I had 2 epidurals  6 years ago after having difficulty walking at a normal pace, I had mentioned it to my Rhuematogist and he said it was my back.  After an MRI showing 2 bulging disc I received the 2 epidurals and I had been free of the problem. Just about 3 weeks ago (March 2012) I started having pain in my back running down into my thigh, the calf of my leg and into the foot.  Another MRI showed that my spine had slipped L4 L5 and had the nerve caught.  I was given a Epidural and I have not had pain at all in the leg since.  I have a slight pain in my back but not bad.   I have an appointment with the Doctor but I don't believe that I will have to have another injection. I am happy that I don't have to take pain pills and not experiencing any pain in the leg.

I appreciate your reply. Your story is encouraging and it's good to read a about a good outcome!!! Good luck in the future!

I have had several back surgeries, the 3rd added metal plates and screws. I have also had literally dozens of esi"s both before and after the surgeries. The majority of the steroid injections provided me with excellent pain relief. I hope this helps.

I am in my 70's and have had multilevel facet injections several times over a 25 year period. They have always worked and provided long term pain relief.  I had 10 injections today.  I still want to work and could not without them.  I get 4 months of relief currently.  Have never had side effects.

No, Every epidural injection I got caused more pain. Now I have recently had steroid injections in the sore areas of my back. Some areas are muscles and some were down the spine. I had my son come over the night before to push on different areas of my back and mark all the areas where I felt pain. The doctor injected those sites and it was like a miracle. I was almost pain free.
Also I had a DNA test to see what drugs worked on me. I never realized they had such test. Anyway my test showed me that the drugs Vicodin, oxycodone, oxycontin, Effexor, and Cymbalta, do not work on me. I had been taking Effexor for years along with the drug Lamictal. I thought those two drugs were working together to stop my depression, but I was wrong. The Lamictal was the drug that stopped my depression, not Effexor. Lamictal also helps stop peripheral neuropathy. Sometimes doctor talk about prescribing Neurontin (Gabapentin) but my doctor said that Lamictal was far superior. It help my father esp. with his neuropathic pain. He felt it was a miracle.

Hi Tsuwa. I herniated a disc during a trip in Nov. 2014. I could not stand on my left leg for even 10 seconds and the pain was exquisite. I had one epidural mid December with about a 70% improvement. I had a second injection three weeks later. My pain was completely gone within a week and the numbness was gone within 2-3 weeks. I was climbing mountains in Myanmar/Burma six weeks later. Today I'm doing great and pain free. Some of the muscles around my spine are still stiff, but I am walking and climbing proof that epidurals spine injections work. I hope you continue to have relief.

where did you get the dna test for this?