My sister is 29 and she was recently diagnosed with endometriosis. She was devastated with the news and now learning to accept the truth. I would like if someone could tell me more about this endometriosis?

Sorry to hear about your sister. Endometriosis is a condition in which endometrial tissue that lines the inside of the uterus grows outside the uterus. It attaches to other organs in the abdominal cavity such as the ovaries and fallopian tubes and this causes female infertility. Endometriosis is a progressive disease. It tends to get worse over time and can reoccur after treatment and symptoms include painful menstrual periods, abnormal menstrual bleeding and pain during or after sexual intercourse. The cause of endometriosis is unknown. However, there are a few theories that suggest possible causes. One theory suggests that some of the menstrual tissue, during menstruation, backs up through the fallopian tubes into the abdomen where it implants and grows. And another theory indicates that it is a genetic birth abnormality. In this genetic abnormality endometrial cells develop outside the uterus during fetal development.