Hello! I would like to learn something new. Given that only begins to study medicine interested me the next area. My current theme is guillain-barre disorder. I just want to check out for some fact. Does it’s recommended that person with such disease receive anesthesia? Is it safe for his health? Thanks for opinion and good will.

Hello there,

Well it is great that you are studying medicine and that you need to right paperwork on various different themes, but I believe that you should do research because one day you will be a doctor and somehow I believe that in the moment when you need to set a diagnosis you will not be able to post one the forums J

Anyhow, Guillain-Barre  syndrome is a disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves, and unfortunately your body is doing this because it thinks that it is fighting against invaders such as bacteria and viruses.

First symptoms are weakness and tingling in hands and fingers in the beginning and later this can spread to the whole body. Unfortunately sometimes hospitalization is needed.

i had gbs. it ascending then decends out of the body. was diagnosed in 2011. been home from hospitals a year now. can walk again and only having tingling in fingers and toes, with burning.

I was diagnosed with GBS early this year. I received anesthesia for physio initially (which I am incredibly grateful for as it enabled the PT to keep my limbs moving which I believe has made my recovery time a lot quicker). However, as my docs explained over and over each day (mainly because I would forget that they had already told me), I could not have anesthetics all the time (despite begging for them to knock me out) as they would not be able to determine how I was recovering. However, they did give me a whole host of other meds which were as good as! A bit of background... I was one of those lucky few who required ICU admission and spent several weeks on a ventilator and largely unaware of anything except for the pain and the nausea. When you one day become a doctor, please NEVER underestimate the pain and nausea that a patient may be experiencing !!