Hello! I'm not an expert in the field of medicine. I ask you to reply to my next question. I would like to know something about guillain barre and multiple sclerosis. Actually I would like to know what is the main difference between these two disorders? Does anyone could tell me that? I would be very happy to receive any info from you.

Hi! As I see you need information. I will try to answer to your question with my experience. You want to know difference of guillain barre and multiple sclerosis. The general difference is that multiple sclerosis infest the central nervous system, according in the guillain barre syndrome, it is the peripheral nerves that are reacted. Second difference is that guillain barre syndrome does not renew except in sparse occasions.

Hello there pavla,

Multiple sclerosis is a disease in which your body's immune system eats away the protective sheath that covers your nerves. This interferes the communication between your brain and the rest of your body and in the end this can result in deterioration of the nerves themselves. Unfortunately this process is not reversible.

On the other hand, Guillain-Barre syndrome is a disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first and most common symptoms. These sensations are quickly spreading and eventually your whole body is paralyzed. If you suffer from the most severe form, Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency which requiring hospitalization.

I hope this will satisfy your curiosity.

Sorry 'neron', your answer is incorrect or at least not complete. The correct answer is:Multiple Sclerosis and Guillain-Barre are two demyelinating conditions that directly affect the the nervous system (CNS). Folks with either of these conditions have a loss of myelin, which is the protective cover of the axons in the neurons.

Both illnesses are autoimmune disorders, which mean that the immune system attacks the body, resulting in inflammation. Guillain-Barre is a rare neurological condition. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) noted that one in 100,000 people have the Guillain-Barre disorder and there are approximately 400,000 persons afflicted today by MS in the United States alone.

WHAT IS THE MAIN DIFFERENCE HERE?

Although both illnesses are demyelinating conditions, they affect different types of myelin.

In the case of Multiple Sclerosis, it is a demyelinating disease of the central nervous system (CNS), which includes the brain and spinal cord. Guillain-Barre is a demyelinating disease of the peripheral nervous system, which are the nerves outside of the brain and spinal cord.

The cells that make up the myelin in the central nervous system (CNS) and peripheral nervous system are different: CNS myelin is fromoligodendroglia and PNS myelin is from Schwann cells.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use