Can anyone tell me the truth about guillain-barre syndrome? Wikipedia and some other websites tell me that guillain-barre syndrome can be caused by the flu vaccine and some other vaccines. Is this just fear mongering? Surely, vaccines are totally safe? If it wasn't for the widespread use of vaccines, lots of people would die every year due to vaccine preventable diseases. Yet, wikipedia tells me that getting vaccines can lead to serious conditions like guillain-barre syndrome.

Before you form any further opinions I encourage you to look into what guillain-barre syndrome really is. Sure, it does have the possibility to cause serious complications. But how often does this happen? What are they? You might come to the conclusion - as I did - that guillain-barre syndrome is not normally very serious at all, and that there is only a tiny chance you will get it from a vaccine. Thousands of people die from fly alone each year though.

GBS is not normally very serious at all? You've never had it, I'm guessing.

When you are in indescribable pain because you have no protection on your nerves, when you are paralyzed and hospitalized for months and have to relearn all basic body functions, it certainly is serious. Some people die from it, many of us have residual symptoms for the rest of our lives.

However, I think that you're right about there being a slim chance of it being a side effect of the flu shot.