I’m interested in news about curing giullian-barre syndrome. I know that it wasn’t curable disease before, but I believe that something positive happened in researches of treatment of gbs. My friend has started having tingling sensations in legs that progressed into partial weakness. . All this started like common cold, common respiratory infection and increased to gbs. Lately, I’ve heard that it goes like that in gbs. Please tell me something about the prognosis of gbs.

I heard that immunomodulation is the most effective therapy that can be used in guillian-barre syndrome. Immunoglobulins are administered intravenously like a single dose or as 5 days long regimen. Plasmapharesis can also decrease severity of symptoms of gb syndrome and shorten its duration. In fact, there is still no cure for gbs and these therapies have just limited effects.

I was diagnosed with GBS in March 8th of 2005. The symptoms started with tingling in the fingers and toes. By late March, it was determined that I had the chronic type (Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradicalneuropathy (CIDP). "It is considered to be a related form of Guillain-Barre syndrome. It is much less common than GBS, and evolves much more slowly and usually is longer lasting. Some CIDP patients experience periods of worsening and improvement, and individual relapses are often confused with GBS." In April, I agreed to try Immunoglobulin given in large doses intravenously and it seemed to have shorten the duration of symptoms. I'm not fully recovered yet (under doctor's care) but can walk without assistance, drive, feed myself, bath myself...pretty close to normal. I occassionally have relapse with tingling or numbness in the toes, tiredness but overall, I feel great. Please discuss all the available options with your doctor. Other than hyperthyroidism, (graves disease), I had no other medical conditions, which increase my changes for accepting the drug without any side effects...Good Luck and God Bless.