I received a cortisone injection in my right knee because of diagnosis of arthritis this morning at 9:30 A.M. I have had a couple of cortisone injections elsewhere over the years, but have NEVER
had any problem with sleeping because of it.. I was not told about this being a possible side effect. Unfortunately, I drank some coffee not long after the shot. I don't drink coffee on a normal basis but it's been very cold here and it sounded good. Took a tylenol PM before bed time at 10 p.m. also a couple of ibuprofen because of back pain. it is now 3 a.m. and I feel tired but cannot sleep. So I took some gas X because my stomach is acting up and I am drinking some peppermint tea for it. Also took a natural sleep aid....Nothing is working. So I got on the internet to check to see if it was all from the shot. Would never have thought this would be a problem. Have been praying it will soon go away and let me sleep. Now I am praying it will not last for more than one night..... I'm 73 and praising God that I don't have little to tend to.

I meant I don't have little ones to tend to.... in my post.

I had my first ever cortisone shoulder shots yesterday, accompanied by numbing agents. I went to bed at 10pm, and slept for 15 minutes, then felt like I was awake the ENTIRE rest of the night. I finally just got up at 4am for the day. good thing it's Friday!

I received steriod injection in rt knee around 10:20 Friday morning. Have been getting them for about 10 yrs in various joints. Took a 2 hr nap Friday afternoon a and have been unable to sleep since. Don't think I have had this reaction before. Saw a new doctor (my regular ortho dr retired at end of December) in same practice who gave me this injection, didn't think anything was different with the injection. Told him I have been getting 3 to 4 per year for past 10 yrs. Funny thing, I was a pediatric RN who worked nights for over 30 yrs before I became unable to work and had to retire.

I was

Had my first ever cortisone shot today for bursitis in my foot. Slept for 4 hours and am wide awake (I am usually 8 hours a night and also nap on the weekends). Dull headache, and feeling jittery. Does anyone have any idea how long this lasts? Does it matter that I am on a high daily dose of Welbutrin XL

I had the injection at 3pm and it is 1am and I am having so much trouble. Usually I am so tired I pass out quickly by 11ish, but I cannot sleep. Based on what I've found, theres something about adrenal glands that release cortisol when under stress, and cortisone is a byproduct of that. I'm reading that a common side effect is insomnia for 48 hours. Not a scientist, but man this sucks right now.

Abj326, I also received my first cortisone injection yesterday morning in my neck and I'm still awake at 4am. Like you, I normally far asleep within 10 minutes but not tonight

Hi I had a cortisone injection in bursa in hip yesterday midday and it is now 6:18 am the next morning and guess who still isnt asleep! Oh well having wine tonight so that may help me sleep this coming night.Had 3 needles 2 years ago for same problem but dont remember sleeplessness. This one hurt a little just like the others but manageable. No other symptoms,,,...yet.Am happy to rest up and watch tv for a day or two, pity I have stairs otherwise would try going down to kitchen and having a drink of milk as this usually helps me nodd off. Oh well, Nice to use the computer so late and so early without a nap! Oh yes I usually have nanna naps during the day, I have retired but seems I skipped it this time round!

I had a cortisone shot in my foot at 9am this morning. Went to sleep at 11pm but woke up with headache at 1am and I cannot sleep. It is 4am and I am still wide awake. Comforting to know I am not the only one who experienced this. I will not do it again. It is probably worse,too, because I use an estrogen cream once/week and chose tonight to use it (hope it does not lengthen the insomnia). I wish the doc had mentioned the side effect.....

Ugh, after reading all these messages, I guess I'm not alone. I got my first cortisone shot in my hip today around 12:00 noon for a turn labrum. I have been in pain for that past 2 weeks with much difficulty sleeping. I took an hour nap when I got home from the shot. But now it's 7:00am and have not fallen asleep yet. I'm not even tired. Ugh. I just want to sleep.

Oh I am feeling the side effects too. Had my first cortisone injections (one in each knee) at 11:00 a.m. this morning. I usually go to bed between 10-11, and sleep with very little trouble. It's 2 a.m. I am wide awake. Sadly I have to work 8 hours tomorrow, then drive 4 hours out of town tomorrow night. Not going to be a good start to the weekend...

me too people...just got first shot today around 3:30 pm...it is almost 4 am cannot sleep even took small dose of zanex. nothing. I fall asleep also in 10 min. no meds. and I sleep about 10 hours a night. love it . but tonight i am in Zombie mode. So I would say I have read enough testimonials to see that this is a problem with the sleeping.

me too ! cannot sleep because of the shot. this is insane would never even imagine

I had cortisone injection in my back on 28/3/17.Now after 5 days still feel pain in my left leg.Injection was at l4/l5.Mornings are too bad.cant stand for more than5.Need Painkilllers to move.As per my doc my body is responding very slow.Any idea how long it may take this Injection to work?

I had my shoulder done at 10am yesterday. I've had 3.5 hours of codeine induced sleep. I'm moving house today & tomorrow