Table of Contents
Many people suffer from insomnia and have difficulty in staying asleep. If you have been facing recurrent problems falling asleep or staying asleep and you wake up feeling stressed and unrefreshed then you are probably suffering from sleeping disorder or insomnia. Getting sound sleep is an indicator of good health.
If you are healthy, you tend to sleep well. Repeated sleeping problems are an indicator of mental and health problems. Sound sleep is extremely vital for emotional and physical well-being. People who do not sleep well experience a negative impact on their emotional health, energy levels, and overall health.
Symptoms of Sleep Disorder
Sleep is a necessity of life and should not be passed off as a luxury. Most of us suffer from sleeping problems at some time in our lives. However, if the sleeping problems continue for unusually long, you need to seek intervention. There are various symptoms that signify a sleep disorder. Some of these are listed below:
- Feeling irritable, tired, and sleepy during the day
- Facing difficulty in concentrating
- Feeling tired or falling asleep while driving
- Reacting slowly under different situations
- Having trouble in controlling emotions
- Depending on caffeinated beverages for staying awake
If you experience one or more of the above mentioned symptoms over a long period of time, you might be suffering from a sleep disorder.
Types of Sleep Disorders
There are different types of sleep disorders. Some of the most commonly observed sleeping disorders are listed below.
- Insomnia: Insomnia is defined as the inability to get the amount of sleep necessary to wake up feeling fresh and rested. Insomnia is a symptom for stress, depression, and other underlying health problems.
- Sleep apnea: Sleep apnea is a medical condition wherein breathing stops temporarily during sleep due to some form of blockage in the upper airways. This interruption in breathing disturbs the sleep and due to these regular awakenings during the night, the person feels exhausted during the day. Sleep apnea is often characterized by loud snoring, gasping and snoring while breathing, and waking up with shortness of breath.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy is a sleeping disorder characterized by excessive and uncontrollable bouts of sleep during the day. This condition is caused by a dysfunction of the brain mechanism that is responsible for controlling sleep and waking.
Curing Sleeping Disorders with Natural Sleep Aids
Natural sleep aids can help cure sleeping disorders. However, their effectiveness might vary from person to person. Moreover, since natural products are not regulated by the FDA, it becomes difficult to interpret their safety and effectiveness. Therefore, due diligence must be shown while selecting the right natural sleeping aid.