All I know is that HLA B27 means human leukocyte antigen B27. My doctor decided I should perform this kind of blood test. I do not anything more about this, and I need to be on that appointment. This freaks me out a little bit, so I would like to know procedure. Do I have to have some especial prepare for HLA B27?

HLA B27 is a blood test your doctor will perform to detects presence of HLA-B27 on lymphocytes. Those are white blood cells, which I believe you already know. In the past, HLA B27 test was performed using serum that specifically reacts with HLA-B27 on the cells. This kind of procedure was known as serologic tissue typing. Newer methods are now available that use genetic testing to identify the type of HLA-B27 in particular individual. I think your doctor will probably reach for this method to diagnose you. During HLA B27, blood is drawn from a vein, usually from the inside of the elbow or the back of the hand. The puncture site is cleaned with antiseptic, and elastic band is placed around the upper arm. As usuall, this helps to apply pressure and cause the vein to swell with blood. Then your doctor will instert a needle into your vein. He will use it to collect blood in an air-tight vial or a syringe. You do not need any special preparation for HLA B27 test.