Hi, folks. My grandfather has been suspected to have MS. His doctor suggests him to do lumbar puncture for proving this diagnosis. I would like to know how important lumbar puncture is for diagnosing this disease. Do you think it is important? I would appreciate all your advices. Thank you in advance.

Hello to you too. Lumbar puncture is very important step in diagnosing multiple sclerosis. It detects antibodies in liquor. Cerebrospinal liquor is the fluid that surrounds brain and spinal cord. However, you haven’t mentioned whether your grandfather did MRI. MRI is very important for detecting plaques that are characteristic for MS. Electro-physiological examinations are also important. Those are three important steps in diagnosing MS. I hope he will be fine. Bye!

New Member
I see a highly renowned MS specialist, have had MS for many years. He travels a lot teaching on the disease and has played a big part in helping to get needed treatments available for MS patients. His is of the opinion that a lumbar puncture is not needed to diagnose MS. He states they aren't used like they once were. Only 80% of people with MS have the Oligoclonal bands that they look for in the lumbar puncture. These bands are made up of immunoglobulins. Several years ago another doc questioned my diagnoses prior to being with my current specialist because he did so a spinal tap and I was missing these bands.
Years after this, I was tested for and found positive for a Primary Immune Deficiency, a condition in which a patient is deficient or missing immunoglobulins; hence the reason for the bands not being present in my case. But generally it is believed, as I stated above that they are a poor diagnostic criteria. Clinical signs and symptoms, along with MRI's, are most indicative of whether or not a person may have MS. EMG/Nerve Conduction studies may be helpful, for various reasons, one being to rule out other conditions.