Are there forum members who have undergone a lumbar puncture? I am due to receive a lumbar puncture at the end of the month, and despite my doctor's assurances that everything will be fine, I am scared out of my mind about the side effects that can happen. If you have been through a lumbar puncture, I would appreciate a detailed account of how you experienced your lumbar puncture.

Hi durant! I don't think you should worry about the procedure. Lumbar puncture is a safe procedure; serious side effects being very rare. The most common side effect of lumbar puncture is headache, that usually lasts for two to three days. This can be relieved by regular analgesics or pain killers. But, if the headache persists for several days, and occurs when sitting up, then it can be an indicator of cerebrospinal fluid leak. If the condition does go away with enough bed rest, then physicians can treat it with epidural blood patch. In this method, patient's own blood is injected into the site of the leakage, so that the blood clot formed could seal off the leakage. I haven't undergone a lumbar puncture but I have undergone a thyroid gland puncture. The best thing is to be optimistic and to trust your doctor. All the best !

New Member
I have had 5 spinal taps and this info regarding spinal headaches is not correct. If a person experiences a spinal headache, it's worse than the worst migraine (I know, have had them 30+ years), it is imperative if you experience one to get to your doc or ER ASAP. It will take less than 5 minutes for a blood patch. Spinal headaches are NOT relieved by any analgesis or pain killer.
That said, spinal headaches are rare, if a patient lies flat for several hours after the procedure, chances are you will not experience one. I experience one because I went back to work after one of them. The others I laid flat and didn't experience one. They are indescribably painful.