Hello guys. I am seeking for one answer. I found this site because a friend of mine posted it on some social network (I don’t want to promote it) and she wrote that every one of us can have an amazing advice or information that are helpful. Here is what I want to know. A few days ago I went to see my doctor. He did some analyses and he told me that I should definitely do C Reactive Protein Blood test. Now, I don’t have an idea what this could be. I want to know what is the purpose of the C reactive protein blood test?

Good day, dear.

The level of C – reactive protein that is measured in your blood usually increases when there is inflammation in your body. In this case doctor may check your C reactive protein level treatment for infections or for some other medical conditions.

Very high sensitivity of C – reactive protein test is also can be used to evaluate your risk of developing coronary artery disease. You need to be aware that coronary artery disease can lead to heart attack.

A simple blood test measures proteins and it's not nearly enough to determine all the possible heart problems.

Hi you two,

Like Aurora wrote above me, c-reactive protein (CRP) is a substance produced by the liver in response to inflammation. Doctors don’t all agree on the implications of high CRP levels, but some believe there’s a correlation between high CRP levels and an increased likelihood for heart attack or stroke. 

I'm not sure that your doctor would suggest you to do a c reactive protein blood test unless he thinks that you have some sort of a heart problem and that you are maybe prone to having a heart attack. I don't mean to scare you, but it seems like it to me.

Hey everyone,

It's not about scaring her, Adria, it's about giving her the proper info about the thing that she asked, and you are right, c reactive protein blood test is sometimes used in order to see if someone has big chances of having a heart attack or a stroke.

The doctors use this test for some other things as well, they use it to monitor inflammatory diseases, including pelvic inflammatory disease, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and autoimmune diseases, such as lupus.

The procedure for this test is quite simple and common, the nurse is just going to take some blood from your vein.

Hey everyone.

Basically others told you what you need to know. But it is very important to recognize that C reactive protein blood test is similar to other markers of inflammation and they can be elevated because any inflammatory process or infections and its interpretation needs careful assessment of the entire clinical picture that is ordered by physician.

This protein is produced in the liver and its level is measured by testing the blood. I believe that this is why your doctor wants you to do this test.

I would do it, it can only help you.

Don’t hesitate.

Hey Guest,

It's true, this test is quite simple, so there's no reason for you not to do it.

It's a really good thing that this test can actually show you whether or not you are prone to having a heart attack, not a lot of tests can show you this.

There are only a few risks of C reactive protein blood test, which aren't really that dangerous and these include excessive bleeding, dizziness or lightheadedness and bruising or infection at the puncture site. If you feel tired or dizzy after your blood test, eat a healthy snack such as fruit, juice, or nuts to help you regain energy.

Hey everyone,

I didn't know that there were any risks of c reactive protein blood test, thank you for this info Alan.

C-reactive protein is measured in milligrams of CRP per liter of blood. A reading of less than 1 mg/L indicates you’re at low risk of cardiovascular disease. A reading between 1 and 2.9 mg/L means you’re at intermediate risk. A reading greater than 3 mg/L means you’re at high risk for cardiovascular disease.

A reading above 10 mg/L may indicate that you might have a bone infection, an arthritis flare-up, inflammatory bowel disease, tuberculosis, lupus or another connective tissue disease or autoimmune disease, cancer, especially lymphoma or pneumonia.

Good day everyone.

Long time no see.

CRP is a right – shaped pentameric protein that is found in blood plasma whose levels rise in response to inflammation. It is actually an acute – phase protein of hepatic origin that increases following interleukin 6 – secretion of macrophages and T cells.

It is synthesized by the liver in the response to factors released by macrophages and fat cells. The test is preformed to check for inflammation in the body and this is not a specific test. That means that it can reveal that you have inflammation somewhere in your body.

Hey. Yes, there are some risks of c reactive protein blood test, but I think that it happens very rarely. A C reactive protein blood test is used to identify inflammation or infection in the body. This protein is released into the blood by the liver shortly after the start of an infection or inflammation. This is a very early indicator of these problems and levels of it can rise very quickly. You should do this test especially because there are no special preparations for it but you need to make sure that you are going to tell your doctor about any medication that you are using at this moment.