Hi. I am 62 years old and I can`t urinate. My urine stream is very weak and the amount of urine is small, every time I go to the bathroom. My doctor told me I may have prostate enlargement and I will have to do some tests. Can anybody tell me more about tests?

Hi. I was diagnosed with BPH also. I did the blood test, digital rectal exam, imaging, urine flow study, and cystoscopy. Digital rectal exam will probably be the first to do. Blood test will show your prostate-specific antigen. A reduced flow is usually a sign of BPH. You have many treatment options, meds, non-surgical and surgical procedure. Meds can shrink your prostate.

Hi Rohwedder

Prostate enlargement is very common and it happens to the most of the men as they get older. Prostate enlargement can cause urination and bladder problems.

As you could experience by yourself, some of the symptoms of prostate enlargement are: inability to urinate, incomplete emptying of your bladder, incontinence, need to urinate few times during night, strong and sudden urge to urinate and weak urine stream.

Since your doctor has diagnosed you with the enlarged prostate the next steps are tests and these include: a digital rectal exam (your doctor will perform this test to feel the prostate gland), urine flow rate, urinalysis and urine culture to check for blood or infection and cystoscopy.

Usually treatment options are connected with the severity of your symptoms.