I would like to ask you a question about my mother. She is 60 years old and she returned from the doctor with bad new. She suffers from chronic lymphocytic leukemia and it seems like she had this illness for some time, but did not know about it. A simple blood test revealed problems that later were qualified as serious disease. All I need to know is what is the long-term prognosis for patients with CLL?

Sadly, I have experience in this matter. My father died two years ago from that illness. And he had it for more than 15 years. I could say that your mother is unlucky, since mostly men are affected by CLL (more than two thirds). Since your mother has it for some time, that means the symptoms did not develop yet and that is a good thing that might point to conclusion she will have a lot of years in front of her. Let's hope that is the case (I know some people lived for more than 20 years!).