I am 67 year old female in excellent health....have never taken any meds (I think really hard before I would even take a Tylenol.) Recently I went to the hospital because of chest pains...I checked out fine. They did tell me I should see a dr. about my elevated blood pressure. I had no dr. (never had a reason to need one), so made appt. with dr. my daugter-in-law uses. He prescribed 12.5 M of hydrochlorot, one pill daily. I am reluctant to take it because after reading online about the drug, it seems to be a diuretic (the dr. told me I would probably urinate more often....I have never had a problem urinating)wont this affect my kidneys, making them work harder and by eliminating more fluids wont I lose valuable nutrients?I dont smoke, drink, I watch my diet (Low salt, low fat etc)....I am concerned by taking these pills I will be starting on a trip that will cause me problems to my health. I am about 5'5" and weigh about 180 lbs. (too heavy, I know)Plrease advise. Thank You

I feel really bad because it sounds like you are very stressed but if you urinate more often, it will not cause you to lose valuable nutrients. Urinating only involves getting rid of waste in your body so the diuretic effect might make you a little dehydrated, but that just means you should drink more water. Does that make sense? Do you feel better about taking this drug yet or are you still looking to be convinced more? Does anyone else have any insight?