My mother is 67 years old and it looks like years started to catch up on her. She complained of the abdominal pain and frequent urinating, and after several weeks and many tests and examination, it was concluded that she is suffering from interstitial cystitis. She was told that Elmiron might help with her symptoms, and I would just like to know about Elviron side effects.

Pentosan polysulfate sodium - that is the generic name of this drug. As fir its side effects, we will put allergic reactions on the first place (breathing problems, lips swelling), prolonged bleeding, increased bruising, hair loss, headaches Some of these signs are not that serious but you should still watch out for her and if anything happens, react accordingly.

I have taken Elmiron for about ten years now and it has been a Godsend. I can go up to six hours without urinating. There is no more pain and urgency. I can sleep most of the night. My doctor runs a battery of tests annually and just this year I have had elevated liver enzymes. I do not feel I can live without this medication. I take two other medications I think I can eliminate, Celebrex and Celexa. I also take Tetracycline for Rosacea and Allegra for asthma symptoms which I might be able to take just PRN.