Hi, I am very worried. I am pregnant. This is my first pregnancy. I was trying to do everything I was told to provide my baby healthy environment for her growth. But I have made one mistake. I did know until recently that folic acids are important in pregnancy. I am in fourth month. I haven't been taking folic acid enough. What could happen?

I can't believe that your doctor did not inform you about benefits and necessity of folic acids. They are very important because they can prevent some defects on your child like spina bifida. Also the lack of them can lead to increased possibility of miscarriage, cleft lift and palate, limb defects and some types of heart defects on baby. But don’t worry I am sure that everything is going to be fine.

If you have been taking any kind of prenatal vitamin you have been taking Folic Acid.

Actually, my doc didn't tell me to use any supplements. She said that she will tell me when I need vitamins and that she is taking care of these things and that I shouldn't worry about it.

So, I haven't been taking any folic acid except maybe from food.

When I spoke to some other women, some of them knew of folic acid while others told me they never had to use it in their pregnancies and that they have never heard of it.

Wow, honestly if I were you I'd go out to the local store (grocery, or pharmacy) and grab a bottle of prenatal's off the shelf and start taking them immediately. Depending on where you get them they can be from $10.00 to $20.00.

Prenatal vitamins should never be skipped in pregnancy, we cannot get all the nutrients we need from our diets alone (especially the average American diet). Growing a baby is a lot of work, it takes a lot of things from us (such as Calcium) and while mother nature will take from our bodies and give it to the baby what is needed, it still leaves our own bodies weakened.

Hi! Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but seeing the folic acid in food is called folate and it isn't absorbed by your body the way man-made folic acid is, which is why women are encouraged to take folic acid in their supplements BEFORE getting pregnant because it is so important in the earliest stages of prgnancy (first 10 weeks). My gyno told me to start on the pre-natal vitamins at least 3 months before I go married because he knew we would start trying right away (I'm 34). You may want to get a new OB/Gyn for the rest of your pregnancy because at this point your doctor sounds like a quack who got her license out of a cracker jack box. I am praying that although you didn't take the folic acid, that your baby is well anyway. And start taking those vitamins RIGHT AWAY to prevent any latter stage defects to occur. Be blessed!

Sabrina

Hi im 4 wks pregnant my dr as adviced me to take folic acid, after converstation with more experienced monthers as this is my first, they adviced me not to take the folic acid as i can cause bleeding? what do you thing? thanks x