I've had LEEP procedure done 6 months ago and it wasn't as horrible experience as I expected from reading all the horror experience stories online. After this, I was having regular monthly pap smears for 3 months and now I'm returned to one pap smear each 6 months. As you can imagine, before each pap I'm scared about what the results will show and I've talked to my doc about it – but he simply had nothing to offer me as a treatment or a supplement that would help prevent any further cervical dysplasia.

So, after hours and hour of reading about alternative treatments, I came across some information and experiences suggesting that upping your folic acid intake through supplements and folic acid rich food could help prevent further cervical dysplasia. Could anybody offer me their experience if there’s any truth to this? And if so, which folic supplement and how often should be taken?

Thanks in advance, Alex

Hello Alex!  It looks as if folic acid could be a good way to help prevent cervical dysplasia.  Folic acid is critical to the synthesis of DNA.  Cervical cells replace themselves every one to two weeks so folic acid is need to help form new normal cells.  Studies have shown that DNA abnormalities can come about because of poor folic acid intake.  Folic acid is something that a lot of people don't get enough of.  You can get it by taken a supplement with 400 mg of folic acid or from foods that naturally contain it like eggs and fortified-cereals.

Hi Alex

I've had the Leep procedure done a year ago, and as of two weeks ago my pap was normal (thank God) i understand your fear believe me. I have been taking folic acid daily and from my experience it does help. if you are not pregnant then you should only take 400mg told by my doctor, at the end of the day Alex i find there is nothing else to be done but to pray that your body does what it is suppose to do or else you will stress yourself into a constant panic like I did. consider taking folic acid (400mg per day), you will be just fine and it will work out! .PS my first pap smear result after Leep did not come back normal, they said it was one step away from normal but the second came back normal. so if the first one is not normal don't panic give your body time to get on track! :)

Best,

Rosena

Thanks for your reply Rosena and great to hear your paps are normal now. I was scared mostly because I still don't have children but I definitely do some, so getting another LEEP or cone biopsy would be terrible.
I started with folic acid, 500mg (that's the only packiging I've found), but my primary physician thinks the dose is OK. She also suggested I generally go for boosting my immune system, so that HPV is under control. Of course, no single supplement can do that, so I'm trying with juicing for a few days. I figure the best way to get vitamins is from raw fruit and vegetables - and we'll see the results,
Alex