I just started on birth control and my doctor prescribed folic acid too. It seems a little awkward to me but I did tell her I was having abdominal pain. What nutrition is she triggering towards?

Folic acid is a B vitamin. It is used in our bodies to make new cells. If a woman has enough folic acid in her body before she is pregnant, it can help prevent major birth defects of her baby’s brain and spine. These birth defects are called neural tube defects or NTDs. Women need to take folic acid every day starting before they are pregnant to help prevent NTDs. hope this help but if your on the birth control and personal cant understand why she has given them to you.

doctor has prescribed you Folic acid along with birthcontrol pills as the contraceptives are known to deplete folic acid levels .which may cause anemia and f the lady wants to coceive the folic acid levels should be sufficient to prevent neural tube defects

Did you have blood test done? Becaue the doc can test for folate (folic acid) levels in your blood. Maybe you are low and she'd rather you begin to get to where you should be.
I had blood tests done in prep for starting a family with my husband and because low folate runs in our family, I had already been on them.
My levels were good only because I had been taking them.

My physician prescribed folic acid because I was thinking about getting pregnant and the medicines I was on were depleting my folic acid levels. But if you needed birth control you are probably sexually active and they recommend frolic acid so in case an accidental pregnancy your baby won't have the birth defects that can coincide with a deficiency in folic acid. There are an awful lot of people who still have babies while using birth control because they skip a few days so extra precaution can't hurt right?